1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Brake Pad Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
01-02 had different brakes than 98-00. I think some later 00s had the changeover to 01 parts (not just brakes), so might be best to go by vin or check what's on your truck.
My 2001 has the same shaped pads as the RockAuto ad, what is throwing me for a loop is that the Amazon ad "says" it will fit but looks funky...the entire shape is off...I'm just a bit confused at the moment...How do you do a parts search by vin? Haven't run across that yet...

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 10-02-2019, 06:17 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe call a dealer and give them the vin and get a factory part number and you can cross reference that to an aftermarket pad. Not sure though, just a thought

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 08:14 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
My 2001 has the same shaped pads as the RockAuto ad, what is throwing me for a loop is that the Amazon ad "says" it will fit but looks funky...the entire shape is off...I'm just a bit confused at the moment...How do you do a parts search by vin? Haven't run across that yet...

Thanks in advance

Steve
The rotors are a bit bigger I think, maybe the calipers are different too, but use the same pad. It's amazon, if it says they're the right ones and something that doesn't look right arrives, send them back.

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Maybe call a dealer and give them the vin and get a factory part number and you can cross reference that to an aftermarket pad. Not sure though, just a thought

Some dealers have websites that let you enter the vin and shows the parts that fit.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by that_guy
The rotors are a bit bigger I think, maybe the calipers are different too, but use the same pad. It's amazon, if it says they're the right ones and something that doesn't look right arrives, send them back.Some dealers have websites that let you enter the vin and shows the parts that fit.
That's awesome. I had no idea. I'll have to look into that. I hate calling and dealing with parts. Sometimes you can't even get someone to answer the phone. It would be nice if they would get out of the stone age and be more convenient to use. I try to use oem parts as much as I can but I think a lot of people don't because of convenience and price.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:27 AM
that_guy
Champion

Well maybe not actually. I always thought 01 had different brakes, then 03 when to even bigger dual piston, but rock auto shows the same diameter rotor (11.3") for 99 and 01.

Old 10-03-2019, 08:17 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by imusorka
Time to change the front pads on my '00 Durango SLT. Is it better to go for semi-metallic or ceramic? Don't ceramic pads ruin the discs? Also wondering about the brands. There's too many: Wagner, Bendix, Monroe, Power Stop, Bosch, Centric. How do I choose? Please help.
I use PowerStop Rotors and Pads on all my Vehicles. Not that more expensive stock replacement and way better.

https://www.jegs.com/i/Power-Stop/41...634+4294828925

Old 10-03-2019, 08:53 AM
that_guy
Champion

I wouldn't run powerstop again. Had cold bite issues on my Charger. Stopping power was lacking with them on my Durango too. And a year later the rotors are showing some cracking around the drilled holes.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:29 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
How do you do a parts search by vin? Haven't run across that yet...

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve, just google "mopar parts" and pick any one of the sites specializing in Mopar parts. There are a million of them...actually I think they are shell sites all connecting to the same backbone.

Example: https://www.moparsalesdirect.com/?gc...YaAtzIEALw_wcB

Old 10-03-2019, 06:03 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Steve, just google "mopar parts" and pick any one of the sites specializing in Mopar parts. There are a million of them...actually I think they are shell sites all connecting to the same backbone.

Example: https://www.moparsalesdirect.com/?gc...YaAtzIEALw_wcB

I found a site, I didn't realize you could search by vin on them...still in the dark about the metal "shims" if you will...was told that they allow for the pads to ride and move easier on the brackets...haven't been able to find anything concrete on that.

I went to pick n pull to see if I could spot any on the Durango's that are there...none seemed to have the metal pieces so the search for info continues...

Thanks again...

Steve

Old 10-03-2019, 06:19 PM
that_guy
Champion

For the shims, only use them as needed to make the pad take up slack inbetween the ears that they ride in. You don't want it to be too tight though, otherwise they'll drag. You may end up just using one shim on each side of the pad, or none at all. Also make sure you don't have divits worn in your knuckles where the pads ride. If you do, mig weld onto them and grind it back down flat.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (10-03-2019)