1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I am going to try to fix my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Karx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am going to try to fix my transmission

After a shop quoted me over 4 grand to fix my transmission ive been walking everywhere for a few months now, i changed the heater core myself awhile back and so im gunna try to fix this thing myself. Big Bertha is a 2000 5.9 v8 slt, if somebody out there could send me everything i need to know about transmissions or at least send me to a place where i could read/learn it all myself it would be greatly appreciated, thx.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:25 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd start with a different shop. A place here quoted me $2,200 for a rebuild with stock parts. Because I tow 6,000 lbs on occasion at altitude, I opted with better TC and kevlar bands for $3,200. I've had 20+ family vehicles over the years, yet only had to mess with a dead auto trans twice. It's not worth it to do myself.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:41 AM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I'd start with a different shop. A place here quoted me $2,200 for a rebuild with stock parts. Because I tow 6,000 lbs on occasion at altitude, I opted with better TC and kevlar bands for $3,200. I've had 20+ family vehicles over the years, yet only had to mess with a dead auto trans twice. It's not worth it to do myself.
That makes it sound like its going to be really hard to do, i want to learn how. I really appreciate you always getting back to me jeeper don especially when i ask some dumb questions but what is the first thing that i need to kno about fixing my transmission???

Old 07-19-2017, 04:21 AM
Karx
Amateur
Default what will happen if i put a transmission from a 4.7 ltr engine into my 5.9 ltr engine

Hey guys i dont know much about cars but im a hard worker and if you send me a book or something about what im looking for i will read it front to back in no time. But im trying to fix my transmission myself after being quoted 4400 for a rebuild at a local shop, after i talked to a few people it seems like the best way to go about doing it is to buy a seemingly good transmission and just "plug her in..."?

any tips about how to get this done will be greatly appreciated thx!

Old 07-19-2017, 05:46 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

YouTube it.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:05 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

see if you can get in touch with a user old_school

he rebuilt his trans (behind the 5.2, but they are VERY VERY similar) and he should be able to point you in the right direction

Old 07-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Old_School
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Karx
That makes it sound like its going to be really hard to do, i want to learn how.
Its not really hard to do as long as you have some common sense and quite a bit of patience. I rebuilt mine about 4 or 5 years ago myself for around $300 after getting a quote of over 5K...

Not sure how much prices have changed since back then but, the $300 included the rebuild kit, a new converter and a few specialty tools I needed to rebuild. Also, included new fluid and tranny lines since you don't wanna contaminate the new rebuilt tranny.

I don't really remember all the details to it since I don't have the truck anymore and its been awhile but, I did record everything in a thread here that should still be in the stick section.

Old 07-21-2017, 03:15 AM
Karx
Amateur

Originally Posted by Old_School
Its not really hard to do as long as you have some common sense and quite a bit of patience. I rebuilt mine about 4 or 5 years ago myself for around $300 after getting a quote of over 5K...

Not sure how much prices have changed since back then but, the $300 included the rebuild kit, a new converter and a few specialty tools I needed to rebuild. Also, included new fluid and tranny lines since you don't wanna contaminate the new rebuilt tranny.

I don't really remember all the details to it since I don't have the truck anymore and its been awhile but, I did record everything in a thread here that should still be in the stick section.
THANK YOU!