1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Is an Axle Swap for '03 Disks worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:26 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any intention of swapping the entire axle, even if it were less expensive, the amount of effort and work that would be is far too much, HOWEVER, I do plan on eventually converting the rear to disk brakes with one of the kits they sell with all the parts included, I'd rather get the brake parts new than used. I also am planning on changing the front calipers to the twin piston ones that the 03 came with as well.

I wanted to put a link in here, but the kit I saw just a month or so ago I can't find, I'd order it in separate parts from the dealer if I had to.

Update again, I found everything for the 2003 rear disk brakes on AutoZone's website, not including pads, e-brake shoes or the rotors, which I'd buy on eBay for a lot less as a kit, might even include some of the hardware that I put in the cart on the site, but the total for all of that is $404. And I did remember to include the brake hoses, baking plate, and the rear of the two cables, not sure if you have to replace both?

Last edited by Compactc9; 08-29-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:44 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Compactc9
I don't have any intention of swapping the entire axle, even if it were less expensive, the amount of effort and work that would be is far too much, HOWEVER, I do plan on eventually converting the rear to disk brakes with one of the kits they sell with all the parts included, I'd rather get the brake parts new than used. I also am planning on changing the front calipers to the twin piston ones that the 03 came with as well.
Do they make bolt on kits? From the kits I've seen they're weld on. Which requires aligning everything completely. Honestly the axle swap wasn't horrible. I think it would probably be easier and you would always be able to get parts for it easily. Not relying on the aftermarket manufacturers to keep producing parts for the kit.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:23 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Compactc9
I also am planning on changing the front calipers to the twin piston ones that the 03 came with as well.
That's another aspect of this thread then too... "Is the swap to dual piston front calipers worth it?"

If so, what else needs to be swapped? Are the caliper hangers bolt on with the same bolt pattern over the years? ...do the knuckles need to be swapped too? I'd consider this mod since I tow 5,800 lbs on occasion.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:34 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
That's another aspect of this thread then too... "Is the swap to dual piston front calipers worth it?"

If so, what else needs to be swapped? Are the caliper hangers bolt on with the same bolt pattern over the years? ...do the knuckles need to be swapped too? I'd consider this mod since I tow 5,800 lbs on occasion.

i looked into this, its an expensive swap since you need to change the knuckles, I was fortunate at the time to have access to a 2003 dakota which had the same brakes as the 03 durango and the knuckles definitely need to change.

see attached for the parts and pricing (as of 4 or 5 years ago)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 AM
NCDurango
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this to mine. you need the knuckles and the brake parts, and it bolts right on. When I did mine, I replaced the hubs (wheel bearing), rotors, calipers, pads, control arms, tie rods, and steering rack while I was at it. I think the total cost was around $500 for a completely new front end with the bigger brakes.