1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Smoke coming through vents

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:58 AM
Jamitripe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming through vents

I have a 2000 dodge Durango SLT 4×4, and there's black smoke coming in through the vents,the heat /AC is off, it doesn't matter what the temperature outside is, and its getting worse.what could it be,anyone have any advice

Old 08-28-2017, 07:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Um, black smoke? Something is burning. I'd find out what it is real quick before your vehicle goes up in flames.

Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 PM
Compactc9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Um, black smoke? Something is burning. I'd find out what it is real quick before your vehicle goes up in flames.
Damn right, this is a big issue!!! First thing, be prepared and have a good, charged fire extinguisher right there with you as you look into this... Also have the hood open and battery cable ready to loosen up and take off quick too.

I'd start with checking the blower motor and resistor, those would be the first things in the duct system that could be burning like that. If not, see if it does it all the time or only when the vents are set to recirculate. If its only on recirculate, time to take out the glove box and look for some soot stains or charred parts under the dash.

If the smoke if more gray, like fog, you likely have a leaking heater core. But electrical problems and smoke are nothing to take lightly, or put off diagnosing until later, unless you are OK with having to hurry up and pull off the road, jump out and watch your Durango go up in fire...