1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango SAS

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 02:31 AM
DamonCG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by adukart
As far as I have ever seen all 1500 4x4s had a dana 44. The durangos and dakotas had a 35 ifs until 2000 when they switched to a chrysler 8" ifs iirc. Randy's ring and pinion only lists a dana 44 for the 1500 as well.
Hey man. I got a 03 Ram 2500 axles and suspension. Can I put that under my 00 Durango without completely reinventing the wheel? Fine with some imagination and fab but could the steering system suspension and axles be used with my trans and TC?

Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DamonCG
Hey man. I got a 03 Ram 2500 axles and suspension. Can I put that under my 00 Durango without completely reinventing the wheel? Fine with some imagination and fab but could the steering system suspension and axles be used with my trans and TC?
00 was the first year for rack and pinion. You will have to convert to the 98-99 steering box setup to make the steering easy. I would then do some research on the best steering setup for 2nd/3rd gen trucks with lifts. The biggest hassle with doing it is if you are doing coil springs making the 4 link and mounting a track bar then converting the pitman arm to accept whatever drag link you end up using. I recently bought an 01 2500 for the axels to try this. I may be going leafs up front for simplicity, thinking like K5 leafs.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 AM
DR4NG20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

00 was the first year for rack and pinion. You will have to convert to the 98-99 steering box setup to make the steering easy. I would then do some research on the best steering setup for 2nd/3rd gen trucks with lifts. The biggest hassle with doing it is if you are doing coil springs making the 4 link and mounting a track bar then converting the pitman arm to accept whatever drag link you end up using. I recently bought an 01 2500 for the axels to try this. I may be going leafs up front for simplicity, thinking like K5 leafs.
We have several K5 C10 and a K20 to play with the 20 is a long term build stupid large and HP...
Buddy and I were talking about the possibility of going leafs up front from the K5 also if needed when we get into that part soon in the planning. Let's stay in touch over the process man 💪

Old 03-02-2021, 06:13 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DR4NG20
We have several K5 C10 and a K20 to play with the 20 is a long term build stupid large and HP...
Buddy and I were talking about the possibility of going leafs up front from the K5 also if needed when we get into that part soon in the planning. Let's stay in touch over the process man 💪
Hopefully we can. You should start a build thread. I already have one (kinda) about mine. It got wrecked like 7 years ago and I picked up a shelby durango shortly after that needed a motor and various other things that;s mostly done. Plus I have 2-3 atv projects (2 motor overhauls and a transmission) to get done and I still haven't gotten my v10 done (whole thread on a cam head project I got going over in the 2nd gen area). I have a donor durango for the frame and body pieces I need. I was going to do as much as I could on the bare frame. My goal is 37's, make it like a trail/hunting rig.

The following users liked this post:
DR4NG20 (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 07:59 PM
DR4NG20
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully we can. You should start a build thread. I already have one (kinda) about mine. It got wrecked like 7 years ago and I picked up a shelby durango shortly after that needed a motor and various other things that;s mostly done. Plus I have 2-3 atv projects (2 motor overhauls and a transmission) to get done and I still haven't gotten my v10 done (whole thread on a cam head project I got going over in the 2nd gen area). I have a donor durango for the frame and body pieces I need. I was going to do as much as I could on the bare frame. My goal is 37's, make it like a trail/hunting rig.
Lot of life happening at the moment but I hope to have a update in the next week or so. Plan and parts that is 💪

Quick Reply: Durango SAS