Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Digitoxin
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango burnout.

I tried to spin the tires from a dead stop on pavement, and the tires howled
for a short distance,and it got traction quick. I have 265/75/16 tire size, and
that makes it harder to break traction I know, but it has a lot more power with
the Superchip programmer, and I wanted to see what it would do.

Anyone get there Durango tires to go up in smoke?

Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Durango burnout.

Unfortunately we R/T owners are trapped with AWD so lighting up tires is a thing of the past. I wished the R/T's had a part-time 4WD option. Then I can light up some tires!

Old 11-27-2005, 06:27 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Digitoxin

I tried to spin the tires from a dead stop on pavement, and the tires howled
for a short distance,and it got traction quick. I have 265/75/16 tire size, and
that makes it harder to break traction I know, but it has a lot more power with
the Superchip programmer, and I wanted to see what it would do.

Anyone get there Durango tires to go up in smoke?

I can light em up and burn the tires right off the rims. If I want to stay in one spot I have to power break just a small bit. 31-10.5/LT15's.

Old 12-07-2005, 03:52 AM
dannyac

I can put on a smoke show with my 4.7l 4wd. Stock 31x10.5x16 tires.

Is the superchip really worth the money?

Old 12-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Dave in LB
Professional

I could probably light mine up too. Did you take it out of Over-drive before you tried smoking them off?

Old 12-13-2005, 12:11 AM
alanmac

I have the 5.9L slt plus, but I can't smoke mine, I know for a fact that it's because I live @ 6,500 Feet above sea level though!

Old 12-15-2005, 09:30 AM
tattoohead
Professional

hehe...I have to stop doing this. Ever since I put the CAI, custom dual exhaust and superchip it'll burn the stock tires like nothing. I've got a '98 5.9L.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

It must be my 355 gear ratio, not letting me smoke the tires. My Durango breaks traction and I get a howl out of the tires but not up in smoke. The thing launches like a leppard. I have Wrangler AT/S tires and they get great traction.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: alanmac

I have the 5.9L slt plus, but I can't smoke mine, I know for a fact that it's because I live @ 6,500 Feet above sea level though!
I've taken my truck up to 10,000 feet and can still smoke em. That is not relevant. Your truck automaticly adjusts the intake flow of fuel and air.

Where did you get your Fact Book?

Old 12-16-2005, 05:14 AM
Digitoxin
Professional

ORIGINAL: hydrashocker

I've taken my truck up to 10,000 feet and can still smoke em. That is not relevant. Your truck automaticly adjusts the intake flow of fuel and air.

Where did you get your Fact Book?
Where did you get your facts? Altitude plays a part in calculating true horsepower. The air is thinner at higher altitudes, and no matter how the engine controls adjust for that, there is loss of horsepower do to thin air, (less air).

Air/Fuel Ratio - The ratio of pounds of Air to pounds of Fuel needed for combustion in an engine. Air/Fuel ratio is based on pounds of AIR to pounds of FUEL but carbs are metered (jetted) by volume so changes in fuel can change A/F ratios. A/F Ratios range from about 2:1 for NitroMethane to about 16:1 for gasoline, with 14.7:1 considered the stoichiometric or chemically correct ratio under perfect conditions with normal (non-oxygenated) gasoline. Gasoline A/F ratios for best power tend to be in the 13.25:1 - 13.75:1 range.

Sub-stratospheric conditions above 10,000 ft., robs your engine's power output a full 34 %, due to a combination of lowered oxygen levels, and a significant reduction in atmospheric pressure values at altitude.
Oxygen tends to settle to low places, due to atomic weight molecular theories and gravity. Oxygen levels found at 5,000 ft. are a full 14% less than levels found at sea-level. At 10,000 ft. this percentage loss of oxygen now approaches 30%. Hold on though, you are about to discover the second power robbing aspect associated with high altitude engine operations.
Atmospheric pressure that we too often underestimate. Its easy to do, most Americans live at elevations below 500 ft. and are essentially at sea level. This is our normal condition to live and breathe in deep, rich, heavy air. Atmosphere pressure is proportional to the weight of all the above molecules resting and pressing down to the bottom from miles above. Remember diving to the bottom of a swimming pool, how with increasing depths, the extra water pressure hurts your ears. Atmospheric pressure is alot like the collective height / weight of the water molecules, but instead we are talking about air molecules. We are quite accustomed to life at the bottom, under the weight of miles of air molecules that are stacked above you. Now consider the opposite, we will experience the absence of the two miles of air molecules, the ones we left behind and below us in Eastern Kansas. Air pressure differentials are what lifts a hot air balloon and its heavy gondola off the ground. Ever hear about Colorado Rockies home-run advantages with thin air at Coors Stadium. Baseball statisticians add an asterick to the batter's home-run numbers for runs hit in Denver.
Returning to the situation back underneath our hoods. It follows then that less of air molecules resting and pressing above our throttle plates at 10,000 ft. will fill our motor's cylinders less effectively when the piston travels down. Furthermore, this slower fill rate is now at odds with the sea-level designed camshaft timing values. The mechanical time the valves are open will remain the same, yet due to the reduced atmospheric pressure, far less mixture will enter the cylinders. Clearly this will remain the key power robbing component that we will be least able to compensate for with adjustments. Two-stroke motors use ports in the cylinder wall to time air flows and these ports are the equivalent of the 4- stroke's camshaft. The two-stroke is so dependant on heavy sea-level pressure differentials, that at altitude, intake, transfer, and exhaust back pressures, will be disproportionately disrupted, robbing the two stroke motor of greater torque than 4-stroke motors.

Quick Reply: Durango burnout.