1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

any idea on how to free last starter bolt on 5.9l v8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 06:42 PM
travisk24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any idea on how to free last starter bolt on 5.9l v8?

i have a 2000 dodge durango slt with the 5.9L v8 and i am trying to pull the starter so i can get it tested. i have the bottom bolt free but the top bolt seems to be stuck, i have tried wd-40 and it is not working. is there any way to get the bolt free without breaking it or stripping the threads?

Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First things first get something good. Seafoam deep creep is what I usually use. People swear by PB Blaster though. WD 40 is not a penetrating lubricant, and won't do you any good. These can be gotten at any parts store. As far as the bolt being seized in there, I don't know. Mine came out fine

Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM
travisk24
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the input. I got my durango used and i have replaced the iac valve, trans pan gasket, cap and rotor along with the ignition coil. Cap and rotor as well as ignition coil were recently done but mine just will not start. Hence the reason I'm pulling the starter, i will try some PB blaster or the seafoam option. I believe part of the issue seems to be that the starter has not been replaced in the last 17 yrs.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by travisk24
Thank you for the input. I got my durango used and i have replaced the iac valve, trans pan gasket, cap and rotor along with the ignition coil. Cap and rotor as well as ignition coil were recently done but mine just will not start. Hence the reason I'm pulling the starter, i will try some PB blaster or the seafoam option. I believe part of the issue seems to be that the starter has not been replaced in the last 17 yrs.
Well that might do just be the reason why I got a new denso unit from Amazon for a pretty good price when I replaced mine. And also, the longer you let that penetrating oil sit, the better. On big projects, I'll plan a week out and soak the bolts every night until I do it.

Quick Reply: any idea on how to free last starter bolt on 5.9l v8?