1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear Axle Shaft Not Pushing In To Remove C Clip

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure I put national in mine. I got an entire rear diff rebuild kit with timken bearings but it didn't come with outers so I think I got national bearings and seals for the outers

Old 02-24-2018, 07:56 PM
briggswope04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I found out tonight and as you may pick up from the pictures, my outer race on my previous wheel bearing welded itself to the inside of my axle tube. So frustrated!! When an axle goes back it really goes. Currently trying to grind it down to fit the new race. Seemed like my only option.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by briggswope04
Well I found out tonight and as you may pick up from the pictures, my outer race on my previous wheel bearing welded itself to the inside of my axle tube. So frustrated!! When an axle goes back it really goes. Currently trying to grind it down to fit the new race. Seemed like my only option.
Make sure it's not uneven and the race fits without movement. Hope you can get away without having to buy a new shaft. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the relocation bearings in your case

Old 02-25-2018, 08:05 PM
briggswope04

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
Make sure it's not uneven and the race fits without movement. Hope you can get away without having to buy a new shaft. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get the relocation bearings in your case
As I ground down into the race I was able to grind away all the places where it spot welded itself to the axle tube and it eventually popped out. I think I got very lucky. Got everything put pack together today and took it out for a spin, success! Thanks all for your help the last few days, next project I’m sure will come soon. Til then gents!

Old 02-25-2018, 08:56 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 02-26-2018, 08:39 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by briggswope04
As I ground down into the race I was able to grind away all the places where it spot welded itself to the axle tube and it eventually popped out. I think I got very lucky. Got everything put pack together today and took it out for a spin, success! Thanks all for your help the last few days, next project I’m sure will come soon. Til then gents!
I'm glad it worked. I sure hope mine never do that to me. We shall see though... lol

Old 02-26-2018, 07:00 PM
briggswope04

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
yes!!! The Rango lives!!

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Shaft Not Pushing In To Remove C Clip