99 Durango 5.2 Positive Camber problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 03:16 PM
DerekJR321
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Durango 5.2 Positive Camber problem

Hey all,

So I took my truck to get an alignment because I'm having a lot of front end issues. Anyway, when they were done (Mavis Tire) they told me that both the driver and passenger side were +10 degrees. They set them back to 0 (0.03 or something). Fine, good, problem solved.

The next day I noticed clicking coming from my drivers side CV. So I bought a new one and was going to replace it. Unfortunately the weather has been terrible here in NY and i don't have a garage. Anyway, about 2 or 3 days later, I can tell that the camber is out again. I can see it and I can feel it. Any time I put the truck into 4wd I get bucking when turning into a parking space or something.

So long story short, what could cause this? I've read everything from tie rods to control arms being bent.

Thanks for any info.

Derek

Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

lots of things could be bent, tie rods and control arms are at the top of the list. Personally i would be looking at the tie rods since that is where the adjustment usually is, I would expect that the shop didnt tighetn the jam nuts enough and they worked loose as you drove it.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the upper control arms where they mount to the frame, that is where the camber/caster adjustments are made. They will sometimes set them but forget to tighten them down and a few dozen miles (give or take) and the upper arms loosen up and move. Had this happen personally. Either way, alignment shop needs to fix it. Also, why are you putting it in 4wd? I assume it's snowy there and not just dry pavement? But that could cause some problems if any of those 4 bolts are loose

Old 03-26-2018, 12:35 PM
DerekJR321
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Yes we have 4 winter storms over a 3 week period. Lots of snow. The tie rods were changed back in October. BUT... they were done by a pretty bad shop. The same shop that "forgot" to tighten the bolt on my front passenger side shock, which caused it to FALL OFF!

I will check out the control arms to make sure nothing is lose, and also check the tie rods. I bought this truck back in October and it's been a money pit ever since. I wouldn't be surprised if there are bent parts. The front driver side had some damage to the fender, so it was probably in an accident.

Derek

Quick Reply: 99 Durango 5.2 Positive Camber problem