1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Turbo Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:41 PM
Jason Marshall
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Turbo Question

Has anyone tried to turbo the 4.7 I have been looking at a twin turbo set up for my 2003 Durango 4.7. Looking for any advise from someone that might have done this or for the turbo Gurus out there

Old 08-12-2018, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

One of THE best ways to build power... But, not inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination. I don't think anyone makes a turbo header for the 4.7, (not even aftermarket) so, you need to go either remote mount, or, find a custom shop to make some up for you. You will need a way to put more fuel into the cylinders, either bigger injectors, or more of them..... you will need to be able to control them, so, 2 or 3 bar map sensor, and a VERY custom tune...... (as it will need to adjust ignition vs boost as well.)

Hope you have deep pockets.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:19 PM
Jason Marshall
Amateur

After some research and deep thought I think I am going to get another 4.7 engine and build it to run a turbo setup. Bench testing will save me a ton of headaches and allow me to make the changes much easier and it looks like I am going to have to make my own manifolds for this project. Now its time to look for another engine for this Frankenstein project

Old 08-12-2018, 05:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

See if you can find a similar year truck that is being parted out, due to blown trans, or something. (engine at least rebuildable......)

Old 08-13-2018, 11:57 AM
Jason Marshall
Amateur

All of the sites that have crate engines have one for the 2004 only was there something that makes that engine year specific. I thought that as long as it was a 4.7 block you were fine no matter what year is was

Quick Reply: Turbo Question