1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Disconnecting Rear A/C Lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:37 AM
Rick99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnecting Rear A/C Lines?

I have an 03 Durango with the rear hvac unit and found a large a/c leak at the block where the A/C lines connect under the rear quarter panel. So, I thought no big deal-- change the o-rings. I removed the nut that appears to hold the lines on (in the middle of the aluminum block) and the lines won't separate. I'm trying not to force things too much. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to disconnect the rear lines here? (the pic shows the nut still on, but it has been removed)

Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Have you evacuated the system? Does it have vacuum on it?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 AM
Rick99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, that's a good thought, but no-- the system was empty because of the leak. I found the leak by pressurizing it with compressed air and heard the hiss from the back. It turns out the connection was badly corroded because of the steel bolt in the aluminum block. I was finally able to free it up by heating it with a propane torch. Unfortunately, the leak is not an o-ring as I hoped. The high pressure line is corroded through in the area near the nut and where it passes through the block-- not easily repairable as far as I can tell-- rear lines don't seem to be available and would be a lot of work to replace for the age of the truck. I've ordered a rear A/C blocker kit and I'm going to disconnect those lines so I'll have front A/C only.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

I'm not familiar with the Durango AC lines or how hard it would be, but that sure sounds like something you can find in a junkyard.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting Rear A/C Lines?