1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Intermittent no power to fuel pump.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 06:05 PM
Nugget
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent no power to fuel pump.

I have been having issues with my 1999 durango 5.2. Lately when trying to start the engine the fuel pump will not turn on. The fuel gauge will show empty as well no matter how much gas is in the tank. I've found that turning the key to "on" but not starting and listening for the pump to turn on has helped somewhat. When I hear the pump and the gas gauge starts working the engine will start and run perfectly normal. I've replaced the fuel pump relay, and the pump itself but the problem is still there. This is a project vehicle for me so I really don't want to take it to a mechanic but I will I'd I have to. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Old 12-07-2018, 06:41 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

sounds like the fuel pump (the gauge sensor is integrated iirc) is not getting power, since you replaced the obvious culprits already its time to start tracing wires, maybe a loose plug or ground. Also check pins in the connectors, if they are loose and only connect intermittently it will cause problems

Old 12-07-2018, 10:31 AM
Nugget
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case lol. I'm terrible at electrical work. Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply: Intermittent no power to fuel pump.