1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Scanners.... Ah, such fun. For an 01, the Snap-On MT2500 would probably work fairly well. Aside from that, I don't know of anything that would work better... maybe the HP tuners software.... but that's not cheap either.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:02 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Scanners.... Ah, such fun. For an 01, the Snap-On MT2500 would probably work fairly well. Aside from that, I don't know of anything that would work better... maybe the HP tuners software.... but that's not cheap either.
Mine is a 99, but I want one for my little business. I was hoping to have one where I could isolate and function test each sensor like the high dollar Snap On ones do, but for a lessor cost. You truly need to be able to test functions without tearing stuff apart, unless one chooses to go through a lot of effort. I'll spend some time and check out what's out there.
Thanks..

Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZipperStar
Mine is a 99, but I want one for my little business. I was hoping to have one where I could isolate and function test each sensor like the high dollar Snap On ones do, but for a lessor cost. You truly need to be able to test functions without tearing stuff apart, unless one chooses to go through a lot of effort. I'll spend some time and check out what's out there.
Thanks..
If you do it for a living, then having one of the high zoot scanners would likely pay for itself in time savings fairly quickly. Snap-On Solus is likely what you really want. I don't think there is anything else even close on the market as far as capability. Maybe the Mac tools equivalent, if they make one.......

Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

If you do it for a living, then having one of the high zoot scanners would likely pay for itself in time savings fairly quickly. Snap-On Solus is likely what you really want. I don't think there is anything else even close on the market as far as capability. Maybe the Mac tools equivalent, if they make one.......
I'm wondering what this low cost used PRO would do. Have to find a little litterer on this guy to see if it will allow to isolate each sensor and change voltage to them. It seems to me having that ability would be important. I know so little of different scanner models, and I dont want one that will only display codes. I can do that already. I'm hoping you can click on this. I'll try it and if not will delete URL.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-Sol....c100752.m1982

Old 02-01-2019, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Snap-On makes some of the best non-dealer equipment scanners on the market. I know they can READ data from individual sensors, whether they can alter it on a per-sensor basis, I don't know. The ones I have used though, would perform most of the test that the the "real" manufacturer tools do. Find out what is the latest update it has, as that determines what years it will cover. (and the updates simply are not cheap.)

Old 02-01-2019, 10:14 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Snap-On makes some of the best non-dealer equipment scanners on the market. I know they can READ data from individual sensors, whether they can alter it on a per-sensor basis, I don't know. The ones I have used though, would perform most of the test that the the "real" manufacturer tools do. Find out what is the latest update it has, as that determines what years it will cover. (and the updates simply are not cheap.)
I notice a lot of them used seem to stop at 2010. That simply wont work. You say updates, I wasn't aware they would sometimes accept that as to give it newer years to cover. I need to find out which ones will accept such. This might be a job. Have to figure out how to contact Snap On Scanner Dept. Yikes !
Thanks for your reply's, there opening doors..

Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by ZipperStar
I notice a lot of them used seem to stop at 2010. That simply wont work. You say updates, I wasn't aware they would sometimes accept that as to give it newer years to cover. I need to find out which ones will accept such. This might be a job. Have to figure out how to contact Snap On Scanner Dept. Yikes !
Thanks for your reply's, there opening doors..
Snap-On has a tendency to STOP updating the older tools, when a new one comes out..... that may be the case here...... Of course, the newer ones are several thousand dollars....... Ouchie.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:25 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Snap-On has a tendency to STOP updating the older tools, when a new one comes out..... that may be the case here...... Of course, the newer ones are several thousand dollars....... Ouchie.
I had nightmares of 13 thousand or around, which is whet I always shied away from buying one. Small guys like me can't spend that much, it would take years to pay for it. I'll have to check out the best low cost one available that is compatible up to 2017 anyway. Buying used stuff can get me killed too when you I don't know how to use them at first, or what to look for. I'm not sure what the most expensive on at O'Reillys has. around 400.00. I don't know if those can isolate a sensor or not.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, they sure are proud of those... Trouble is, unless you are a fairly high-volume business, the new version comes out before the on you have is paid for...... That was the problem I ran into......

Old 02-02-2019, 11:01 AM
ZipperStar
Rookie

Yeah, they sure are proud of those... Trouble is, unless you are a fairly high-volume business, the new version comes out before the on you have is paid for...... That was the problem I ran into......
That's insanity, lol for a guy like me. Trying to get my 62 year ol back in shape to go pull that tranny pan. I'm hearing if you let it drain all night you will get quite a more out rather then around 5 quarts. I thought the fluid stayed up in the tranny unless the inner seals wont hold. Am I wrong to believe that. I always let it drip for about an hour is all. I installed a drain plug last I had the pan off... It makes life easier without a lift available..

Quick Reply: Transmission problem