2001 Durango 4.7l mystery part

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:26 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 2001 Durango 4.7l mystery part

Hey all,

Been fighting with my '01 Durango and I've got a question for the experts....while replacing my injectors and plugs (I will put up a post about that later), I ran across this mystery item bolted to coil pack 3 and 4:

Mystery part

Single contact of mystery part

Mystery part bolted to #4 coil pack
I made sure to put them back where I found them but I sure don't have a clue as to what they are

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 12-22-2018, 09:52 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Did you try Googling the number on the unit?

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...6041396aa.html

https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/31h...mpartment.html

"Those are not relays, they are capacitors or noise reducers. They bolt on top of coils (just for convenience) but plug in to a circuit that provides power to all of the injectors and coils. They are used to reduce noise on the ASD circuit as the injector and coil magnetic fields collapse. You could probably run for a little while without these but I would expect to start seeing the computer showing signs of electrical interference.

Look for connectors that you don't have plugged in. There should be one on each side and the connector should have a single wire going in to it. This wire should be the same color as the wire that is common to all of your injectors and the coils.

Doug"

Old 12-22-2018, 04:04 PM
deanbw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a resisted ground, that makes it a resistor, or filter. I'm guessing to keep radio signal clean without interference/static. Dogevity is correct in it being for noise reduction, but it is not a capacitor, remember a capacitor is for storing energy like a tiny battery you can charge and discharge as necessary.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by deanbw
I'm guessing to keep radio signal clean without interference/static. Dogevity is correct in it being for noise reduction, but it is not a capacitor
Click the first link and see the Mopar part. It doesn't reduce noise in the sense of audio. It's electrical noise being reduced.

Old 12-23-2018, 12:58 AM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Did you try Googling the number on the unit?

https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...6041396aa.html

https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/31h...mpartment.html

"Those are not relays, they are capacitors or noise reducers. They bolt on top of coils (just for convenience) but plug in to a circuit that provides power to all of the injectors and coils. They are used to reduce noise on the ASD circuit as the injector and coil magnetic fields collapse. You could probably run for a little while without these but I would expect to start seeing the computer showing signs of electrical interference.

Look for connectors that you don't have plugged in. There should be one on each side and the connector should have a single wire going in to it. This wire should be the same color as the wire that is common to all of your injectors and the coils.

Doug"

Thanks,

Hadn't tried google'ing the part number...was tired and cold lol . I will have to check the engine compartment after the holidays....as far as I know its never been plugged into anything...that is way I was puzzled as to what is was...I will report back on the 26th or so as to what I found...

Thanks again,

Steve

Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

If it's running good, I wouldn't sweat those plugs. I've got the 4.7 and don't remember seeing those. I will double check later.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:39 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
If it's running good, I wouldn't sweat those plugs. I've got the 4.7 and don't remember seeing those. I will double check later.
So far, it's not running worth a damn I will put up a fresh post with the issues...

I finally was able to get back under the hood of the Durango yesterday and today...I could not find any plugs that would fit or are unplugged...

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango 4.7l mystery part