1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Timing chain broke

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Fire-mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing chain broke

The timing chain on my 2003 5.9L Dodge Durango broke. It was running fine before, but after replacing it, it runs like it is dead on several cylinders. The mechanic that checked my timing said to find out if this engine is an interference engine or not. Can anyone help my answer this question?

Old 01-04-2019, 01:31 PM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DOn't believe it is an interference engine, quick compression test would tell you what is up.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:56 PM
djacobson
Rookie

I'm sorry but if I hired a mechanic and he asked me to find out information about my engine I would find a new mechniac.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:44 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

On a 5.9... when the cam stops and the crank does not, it puts a large dent in your wallet.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
On a 5.9... when the cam stops and the crank does not, it puts a large dent in your wallet.
Now there is an interesting way of putting it. Accurate too.

Yes, the 5.9 does indeed seem to be an interference engine. If the chain breaks, pistons meet valves, and havoc ensues. Bent valves, broken pistons, and all the fun that comes with it.

Compression test first, see what ya get. If you do indeed see zeroes on a bunch of cylinders, you *might* be able to get away with just replacing the heads..... However, if you broke pistons, replacing the engine completely becomes the cheaper alternative.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:58 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Compression test first, see what ya get.
I wouldn't do a compression test. I'd pull the rockers to let all the valves seat, then first do a simple 'leak down' test rather than cranking anything for a compression test. I buggered a valve a few yrs ago (mis-installed a roller rocker), and it was easy to hear the air kicking back through the intake/exhaust.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:02 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't do a compression test. I'd pull the rockers to let all the valves seat, then first do a simple 'leak down' test rather than cranking anything for a compression test. I buggered a valve a few yrs ago (mis-installed a roller rocker), and it was easy to hear the air kicking back through the intake/exhaust.
Thanks for the heads up and yeah, no need to spin that poor engine over anymore, lol.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Quite right. Completely agree.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:14 AM
deanbw
Amateur

Yes, it is hurt, pull the valve covers, pull the rockers as mentioned above, pull the push rods they are probably bent too, and because your mechanic doesn't know if it's an interference engine or not my guess is he does not know how to do a leak down test. just put a straight edge across the valves, you will see all the bent ones, stems will be all different heights. The best part is, it will have at very least dented the pistons. did this on a 383 just starting it once....it never even ran, just turning it over bent all valves took out pistons. If your engine broke chain while running down road you may have even bent a rod if it hit hard enough.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Fire-mechanic

Originally Posted by djacobson
I'm sorry but if I hired a mechanic and he asked me to find out information about my engine I would find a new mechniac.
I work at a shop and the mechanic that checked my timing is my boss. He is teaching me how to do all this stuff. Thank you for the help though.

Quick Reply: Timing chain broke