Reload this Page >

Big Problem after PCM Replaced

1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Big Problem after PCM Replaced

Old 01-11-2019, 02:10 AM
deanbw
Amateur

Originally Posted by raleigh5 View Post
i took the alternator out and had it tested at Oreilly's. it tested good. The remanufactured PCM was sent back and they now tell me it was a bad PCM: "...ok im sorry to say this one has an issue that was caused when the unit was sand blasted. we don't have a replacement to send so we will issues a refund in full...."

So i am now still wondering why the Durango will crank, but not start with my original PCM installed. "Check Gauges" indicator is lit and no reading from the volt meter. I will start the search process over again. But to me, it still points to the PCM having caused an issue that will not go away on its own.
Open the air cleaner box, remove air filter, have someone turn engine over while you spray a little starting fluid in the intake, ( gas in an oil can or spray bottle is better, but starting fluid works), if it fires start checking fuel pump system....

Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM
raleigh5
Amateur

Originally Posted by deanbw View Post
Open the air cleaner box, remove air filter, have someone turn engine over while you spray a little starting fluid in the intake, ( gas in an oil can or spray bottle is better, but starting fluid works), if it fires start checking fuel pump system....
thanks. kind of figured i'd have to start from square one and check for air, fuel and spark. and, is it only me.....or does anybody else think it odd that a PCM would get sand blasted?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:37 PM
deanbw
Amateur

Originally Posted by raleigh5 View Post
thanks. kind of figured i'd have to start from square one and check for air, fuel and spark. and, is it only me.....or does anybody else think it odd that a PCM would get sand blasted?
No it's not odd, that's how they clean them, but if you get some dumb kid doing it while staring at the clock waiting for break, he could blow glass bead or whatever they are using in to case, it is only a tin cover after all.

Old 02-18-2019, 04:49 PM
raleigh5
Amateur

long story short: ignition coil reads 1.5 ohm across primary. no reading for secondary winding resistance( against high tension lead). Got a new coil coming. Hopefully this will solve the problem. i will post result when i can.
Update on 2/22/2019: it looks like everything is good after install of a new ignition coil. the Durango starts right up and runs fine. Put about 70 miles on it before taking it in for a required smog check.....it passed. so i am hoping that the new coil prevents the P0304 condition from returning. time will tell. thank you to all who offered guidance on this!

longer version: been busy and its rained a lot. so this troubleshooting got a little delayed. fuel pressure was good with no loss over a few minutes. each plug was getting spark. though, being novice at 'reading' the strength of the spark, i couldn't really determine if each was getting enough spark to fire the fuel mixture. plugs were wet when i pulled them to check compression. compression ran from low of 100 on cylinder 3 to 160 on cylinder 2. wet compression brought 3 lowest cylinders( 110, 110, 100 ) up to 155, 160, 160. So yep, going to need some major work soon to keep this Durango going.....maybe needs that work right now.

Last edited by raleigh5; 02-22-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Update after install new coil
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

If you have been having problems starting, the cylinders may simply be washed down, but, not necessarily in need of new rings. Make it run decent first, (which you should be able to) then run the test again. So what the numbers look like.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:14 AM
raleigh5
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
If you have been having problems starting, the cylinders may simply be washed down, but, not necessarily in need of new rings. Make it run decent first, (which you should be able to) then run the test again. So what the numbers look like.
That is good to know, thank you. i will do that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Problem after PCM Replaced

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: