1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Looking to purchase Durango (hopefully RT)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 08:25 AM
WannaDurangoRT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to purchase Durango (hopefully RT)

Ok, so as you can see, this is my first post. I'm here because I would like to find out about the Durango's. I'm looking to get an R/T if possible. Otherwise any 2000+ Durango (I'm not really a fan of the 5.2, so I'd prefer the newer 4.7L).

Quick intro... My name is Mike, I'm from MN, I'm 22 and engaged. No children, but a very good chance of that happening in the next year or two.

I have a few questions before I decide to take a closer look at Durango's.

Here they are:

How is the gas mileage with these vehicles (I'm not too concerned, but it's something I'll miss coming from a Saturn that averages 27 MPG). I know it won't be more than 15 average or so for highway/city mixed, but what is a realistic number so I know. May just keep the Saturn as a back up if the gas prices go near $3/gallon again.

Are there any certain years or models to stay away from? Or, any options that aren't that great and should maybe stay away from if possible?

What about space? Cargo space and seating? I am wondering for the future (I mean children...curious how the back seats are for child seats and for passengers in general). Cargo space I'm curious about for road trips and also sound systems. I have a single 12" that will go in. Is the cargo area large enough that I wouldn't have to remove the sub for a couple suitcases or a few bags of groceries? Not sure of the specs, anyone know the cu. ft.?

I can't think of any other questions right now, but perhaps I'll think of some later.

If anyone has anything they want to add on top of these questions, feel free. I especially want to know bad things (things to look out for and things that may be the weakest mechanically).

Thanks.
Mike

Old 12-10-2005, 05:17 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame
Default RE: Looking to purchase Durango (hopefully RT)

will hold plenty of people, we fit 1 adult and 7 teens in one and it was realativly comfortable, deffiantly would be do-able for an extended ride, but not much room for luggage with that many people, ok power, 2004 i believe it was had the 4.7, unless you had more then 5 people in it you wouldnt have to remove the 12" for groceries and it should fit in there fine

Old 12-10-2005, 07:22 PM
luislefort

[IMG]HI I have a 2002 SLT

gas mileage is great I drive it every day for around 20 to 25 miles a day,
and a tank of gas lasts me at least 2 weeks
I fill up my tank with almost $60

SPACE:
you can fit 5 adult and 2 teens and you have space for child seat on every seat
you could easily fit one large bag for each adult on the back or
you can fit a 12" sub with box and 2 to 3 large bags

POWER: if your getting a R/T you would probably get 5.2L
mine is a 4.7 and it has a lot POWER

[IMG]local://upfiles/25464/8B487A29C58A41B78ECD675DC4F499C3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want a 4.7, you need to get at least a 2001 model to get the 4.7 litre option. I would not stick with a 2000 model. I have a 2000 and some parts are not easy to get for some reason. I can find parts for any year model except for 2000's???? Example are fog lights, nearly impossible to find brand new oem lights from aftermarket places for 2000 models. The differences;

2000 models, they have changed the steering assembly from recirculating ball joint to rack and pinion steering system.
2001-2003 models, they have majorly changed the interior. New cluster, redesign dash with newer style radio, dual A/C controls for driver/passenger and Rear A/C has been redesigned from over the ceiling to side vents so they can mount optional DVD entertainment system. Also Rear A/C system has optional heat. Seat position controls are located on center console. Also, optional heating for both driver/passenger seats are offered on 2001's and newer.

If you plan to get a R/T model, you will be getting the 5.9 engine and FULL TIME AWD, beefier suspension and bigger wider 17x9 rims.

Gas mileage differences;

4.7 2WD gets average 16-18 overall.
4.7 PT 4WD gets average 15-18 overall. (PT - Part time)
5.9 R/T gets average 11-13 overall.

Old 12-12-2005, 03:33 PM
WannaDurangoRT

ORIGINAL: Kensai

If you want a 4.7, you need to get at least a 2001 model to get the 4.7 litre option. I would not stick with a 2000 model. I have a 2000 and some parts are not easy to get for some reason. I can find parts for any year model except for 2000's???? Example are fog lights, nearly impossible to find brand new oem lights from aftermarket places for 2000 models. The differences;

2000 models, they have changed the steering assembly from recirculating ball joint to rack and pinion steering system.
2001-2003 models, they have majorly changed the interior. New cluster, redesign dash with newer style radio, dual A/C controls for driver/passenger and Rear A/C has been redesigned from over the ceiling to side vents so they can mount optional DVD entertainment system. Also Rear A/C system has optional heat. Seat position controls are located on center console. Also, optional heating for both driver/passenger seats are offered on 2001's and newer.

If you plan to get a R/T model, you will be getting the 5.9 engine and FULL TIME AWD, beefier suspension and bigger wider 17x9 rims.

Gas mileage differences;

4.7 2WD gets average 16-18 overall.
4.7 PT 4WD gets average 15-18 overall. (PT - Part time)
5.9 R/T gets average 11-13 overall.

Thanks for the info, that's exactly the kind of info I want. So don't get the first year of the 4.7L (2000) if possible. Stick to a newer model year. I do know that the R/T is 5.9 w/ Full Time AWD, and what not. I'm not impressed with the MPG on it, but I really like the truck as a whole. I think the AWD would be good for MN most of the year (whether it be rain, sleet, snow, ice, etc...even dry conditions).

However, I suppose I'll look into the 4.7 w/ PT 4WD since the mileage is better and I really don't need the extra power or larger wheels.

I would save money on the vehicle itself, the fuel for the vehicle, and tires when it comes time as I looked at the tire sizes and prices seem to be a little more on the 17's.

Also, I will not be towing anything with the vehicle most likely (at least not for right now as I live in an apartment and don't have a cabin or anyplace to bring a boat/atv/etc.).

The only time I may need it is for when we do purchase a home in the future. Would be nice to have a hitch for a U-Haul trailer or something. As long as it has the room inside for hauling groceries, furniture, etc. I'll be ok.

Thanks again.
Mike

Old 12-13-2005, 06:00 AM
WannaDurangoRT

So, here's what I've absolutely decided for sure. IF I do infact get a Durango. I really want the R/T and I want to make sure I get a 2001 to 2003.

I don't really like the interior of the 2000's. I don't have a problem with the gas mileage, but of course I'm all for getting a little extra if possible. So if I'm correct, intake, exhaust, tb, and maybe header should help not only in power, but perhaps a little extra mileage along with a nice throaty sound.

Here are my newest questions.

What is suggested for intake, exhaust, and tb? Anything that works better together or is proven to be better than something else?

How long did they make the R/T (was it all the way through 2003)?

What kind of mileage per tank are you getting? Do most of you get at least 300 miles to the tank? I would hope I don't have to fill up more than once per week. Hopefully longer between fillups.

What other features does the R/T have over the SLT? I know of the following...5.9L, Full-time 4WD, better suspension (stiffer), lowered (how much?), 17" wheels, leather/suede interior w/ R/T embroider, badging on the outside.

What are all the tire sizes that can be used on the SLT or R/T wheels and what do most people get (brand and cost)?

So what is the seating in the 2001 to 2003 models? I wasn't sure as I've heard 7 pass. and 8 pass. Also, is the third seat removeable for more space or does it fold down?

I'm going to test drive one this weekend when I get an oil change for my Saturn (the Saturn dealership has an 01 R/T, but they want too much as far as I'm concerned...$13,000 for 56,000 miles...may not be a bad deal, but is higher than other places for what I've seen, must be the mileage).

Lastly, just to make sure I really want an R/T and can't just be ok with the SLT or SLT+ (w/ PT 4WD), what is the benefit of having full time 4wd versus part time? Perhaps because of MPG and because of the price of the vehicle, it might be beneficial to get something that doesn't have FT 4WD as I wouldn't need it year round, just half to 3/4's of the year.

Thanks again.

Also, can anyone list links to good aftermarket places (performance, appearance, etc.)? I'm interested in possibly getting intake, tb, exhaust, hood, and wheels.

Old 12-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: WannaDurangoRT

So, here's what I've absolutely decided for sure. IF I do infact get a Durango. I really want the R/T and I want to make sure I get a 2001 to 2003.

I thought you wanted a 4.7 and don't need all the extra power of the R/T?

I don't really like the interior of the 2000's. I don't have a problem with the gas mileage, but of course I'm all for getting a little extra if possible. So if I'm correct, intake, exhaust, tb, and maybe header should help not only in power, but perhaps a little extra mileage along with a nice throaty sound.

Only the cluster, dash, seats controls, Rear A/C w/heat are changed from 2001-2003. Seating are still the same. You won't see too much improvement on gas mileage. You spend alot and not get the return for it in a short time. I would concentrate on getting more performance and power. Then improved gas mileage may come naturally as a by product result depending on what performance paths you choose.

Here are my newest questions.

What is suggested for intake, exhaust, and tb? Anything that works better together or is proven to be better than something else?

Everyone has got their own perferences. My preferences is to keep the stock look under the hood. You can check http://www.mopar.com and download their PDF performance catalog for dodge. They have some nice CAI's, intake manifolds, headers, exhaust. Keep the mopar logo under the hood. That's my 2 cents. Don't waste your money to get a spacer tho. Does not work on 5.9's. Arguable debates on the 4.7's.

How long did they make the R/T (was it all the way through 2003)?

2000-2003. R/T Dakotas started 1999-2003. No R/T Dakotas for 2004 because they discontinued the 5.9 in 2003 when the 5.7 hemi officially came to production in 2004.

What kind of mileage per tank are you getting? Do most of you get at least 300 miles to the tank? I would hope I don't have to fill up more than once per week. Hopefully longer between fillups.

I am always driving my 2000 R/T with a egg under my foot! So I average at best 12-14 mpg's. I push nearly 290 miles with the needle sitting right on Empty and the fuel light nagging at me. Durango's have a 25 gallon tank and I filled mine to the rim all the way from the empty mark and filled like 20 gallons max. So I guess the extra leeway past the empty mark may be the 5 gallon reserve last chance fillup mark.

What other features does the R/T have over the SLT? I know of the following...5.9L, Full-time 4WD, better suspension (stiffer), lowered (how much?), 17" wheels, leather/suede interior w/ R/T embroider, badging on the outside.

What you said plus the computer has been tweaked for R/T's to get that little extra power. However, we had a previous discussion in this forums concerning the R/T models using regular and premium fuel. So you may want to check on your future R/T purchase to see if it uses regular or premium fuel as that may affect your fuel budget.

What are all the tire sizes that can be used on the SLT or R/T wheels and what do most people get (brand and cost)?

I seen up to 20x9 rims can be used on Durangos. They even make a oem style R/T rim in 20 inches!!! Wished I had the bucks to purchase a set of those for my R/T. Most SLT's uses 16x8 rims, and basic Durangos uses 15 inch rims.

So what is the seating in the 2001 to 2003 models? I wasn't sure as I've heard 7 pass. and 8 pass. Also, is the third seat removeable for more space or does it fold down?

I would assume that all 2000-2003 comes with 3rd row seats as standard. I do know some 98's and 99's do not have them and they are an option. If true for those 98-99's, they may be the removable type. But the 2000-2003 are fold down flat so you do not need to remove the 3rd row seats. I am an asian person with asian family so I can easily fit 8 maybe 9 people max. But most overall, only 7 is the max, 2 in front, 3 middle, 2 rear.

I'm going to test drive one this weekend when I get an oil change for my Saturn (the Saturn dealership has an 01 R/T, but they want too much as far as I'm concerned...$13,000 for 56,000 miles...may not be a bad deal, but is higher than other places for what I've seen, must be the mileage).

I bought my 2000 R/T used on Aug 2001. I paid 25k for it with 21k miles. Another dealer had a 2000 R/T also for the same price but with 5k miles. However, I chosed the one with 21k as it came in black and the other was red. Red is too common for Durangos in Dallas and red does not show off the chrome emblems well as opposed to black. The 2001's were running for 38k in Dallas brand new!! Cannot believe the difference in price even with the major interior changes. I can live without the DVD entertainment system and the newer interior design. As long as the exterior is still exactly the same. I just cannot justify the 13k difference.

Lastly, just to make sure I really want an R/T and can't just be ok with the SLT or SLT+ (w/ PT 4WD), what is the benefit of having full time 4wd versus part time? Perhaps because of MPG and because of the price of the vehicle, it might be beneficial to get something that doesn't have FT 4WD as I wouldn't need it year round, just half to 3/4's of the year.

Up to you and where you live I guess. I wished my R/T was part time instead of full time. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area so I do not have any need for full time AWD. Plus without AWD, you get better gas mileage and also get to spin the rear wheels sometimes when you just got an itch to do it for no reason. There is no P/T tranny available for R/T's. The R/T's also come with standard 3:92 gear ratio so gas mileage still bad! I think SLT's uses 3:55/3:73 gear ratios with 3:92 gears as optional. But with 3:92, you get the most towing power.

Thanks again.

Also, can anyone list links to good aftermarket places (performance, appearance, etc.)? I'm interested in possibly getting intake, tb, exhaust, hood, and wheels.

There are lots of links in this forum you can check out.

One word of advice if you plan to get a 2001 or newer, we noticed that the blower resistor goes out very commonly among the 2001 year models and 2002-2003 are less common and barely hear anything about it before 2001. When the resistor pack goes out, the blower will only operate in high speed or no speed. The resistor pack is very easy to change yourself and is an OEM part only. Part runs around $13-$15.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:25 PM
WannaDurangoRT

Thanks for the great responses. I have got everything straight now and then my only question is this...the resistor pack, is it something that keeps going out on those, or is it something that only has to be replaced once and it's good to go for a while? In other words, do people have a lot of problems with this or is it just something that they've had to do one time and don't have to deal with it again?

Thanks.

Also, I have seen those 20's, but the tires would be too expensive to replace. Also, I might like to try off roading sometime with it when I get one. I have a couple buddies who have trucks and would like to see how I fair with them (one is my future brother-in-law...he has a Silverado 2500HD that thing will climb anything...and my future sister-in-law has a nice 89 Bronco with a nice lift and off road setup...a friend of mine has a Mountaineer that he used to take off roading, but he decided to go with a new setup and has 18" Cobra chrome wheels on it now).

I was referring to tire size itself though. If I do a slight lift on the truck (a couple inches at most), I'd like to see what tires I can fit on the stock rims. Hopefully they wouldn't be too expensive either.

Old 12-13-2005, 06:58 PM
Kensai
Champion

ORIGINAL: WannaDurangoRT

Thanks for the great responses. I have got everything straight now and then my only question is this...the resistor pack, is it something that keeps going out on those, or is it something that only has to be replaced once and it's good to go for a while? In other words, do people have a lot of problems with this or is it just something that they've had to do one time and don't have to deal with it again?

From what we have monitor in these forums, usually just the first time. Only seen maybe 1 or 2 repeaters. If it continues to blow, you may need to check the blower itself or elsewhere that is causing the resistor pack to blow.

Thanks.

Also, I have seen those 20's, but the tires would be too expensive to replace. Also, I might like to try off roading sometime with it when I get one. I have a couple buddies who have trucks and would like to see how I fair with them (one is my future brother-in-law...he has a Silverado 2500HD that thing will climb anything...and my future sister-in-law has a nice 89 Bronco with a nice lift and off road setup...a friend of mine has a Mountaineer that he used to take off roading, but he decided to go with a new setup and has 18" Cobra chrome wheels on it now).

I was referring to tire size itself though. If I do a slight lift on the truck (a couple inches at most), I'd like to see what tires I can fit on the stock rims. Hopefully they wouldn't be too expensive either.

I cannot really answer this question as I don't do alot of customization for offroading. I am sure there are really some nice offroad tires for 17 inch rims if you get the R/T model. Just remember to recalibrate your speedo if you change out with custom size rims and tires.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase Durango (hopefully RT)