Defroster Stopped Working

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM
krazybob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b1lk1
You are way over thinking this.

1. Blower motor/resistor quit from the storm as the temperature likely dropped causing the blower motor to require more amperage than normal to start frying the blower resistor.
2. Just changing the resistor will not completely fix the problem.
3. Change the fan motor too. I never change a blower resistor without changing the fan.

Almost no reason to check the wiring, this is a VERY comom problem with all older cars. Don't give in to the the temptation to leave in that old blower motor. It will keep killing resistors.
Thank you for your suggestions but with all due respect, I am not over-thinking anything! I'm responding to the advice that I am being given. I didn't post a video telling me how to fix my own problem. I responded to a video that was sent to me. I didn't suggest checking the wiring. I responded to someone who suggested I do that. We've had temperatures colder than 23 degrees and the resistor didn't blow. I realize that it's not a new dealer item but I happen to love the SUV. When you live in Snow Country in the mountains you want something that can be knocked around a bit.

The bottom line is that if the resistor is gone I'm going to have to pull it out again as I did several years ago when I needed the air conditioner on and splice another one back in. That's hardly overthinking the problem. Overthinking the problem would be changing the blower motor at the same time. Your suggestion adds more work for me. I might consider changing the blower motor but as I have already described numerous times I am freaking disabled and cannot crawl underneath the damn dashboard and start pulling parts out on a whim.

Last edited by krazybob; 02-11-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by krazybob
Thank you for your suggestions but with all due respect, I am not over-thinking anything! I'm responding to the advice that I am being given. I didn't post a video telling me how to fix my own problem. I responded to a video that was sent to me. I didn't suggest checking the wiring. I responded to someone who suggested I do that. We've had temperatures colder than 23 degrees and the resistor didn't blow. I realize that it's not a new dealer item but I happen to love the SUV. When you live in Snow Country in the mountains you want something that can be knocked around a bit.

The bottom line is that if the resistor is gone I'm going to have to pull it out again as I did several years ago when I needed the air conditioner on and splice another one back in. That's hardly overthinking the problem. Overthinking the problem would be changing the blower motor at the same time. Your suggestion adds more work for me. I might consider changing the blower motor but as I have already described numerous times I am freaking disabled and cannot crawl underneath the damn dashboard and start pulling parts out on a whim.
I dealt with back issues before (still do)... had surgery on L4-L5. It's no joke and it's with you for life. Only solution I can think of (if you can't afford to pay) is to get someone to do it for you and guide them while holding a mirror. That or open the front door and rig up a piece of board, or a creeper you can lay on and get it to the height of the door threshold. That way you can lay on your back mostly straight, with most of your body outside the truck. The intake vents are meant to evacuate water from even the strongest downpours, so unless something is blocked, you should be good there.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 02-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 AM
krazybob
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
I dealt with back issues before (still do)... had surgery on L4-L5. It's no joke and it's with you for life. Only solution I can think of (if you can't afford to pay) is to get someone to do it for you and guide them while holding a mirror. That or open the front door and rig up a piece of board, or a creeper you can lay on and get it to the height of the door threshold. That way you can lay on your back mostly straight, with most of your body outside the truck. The intake vents are meant to evacuate water from even the strongest downpours, so unless something is blocked, you should be good there.
thank you for understanding Dodgevity! My problem is they'll L1 / L2 and L5 / S1. Getting under the dashboard for an extended. Of time it's just not on my list at at the hourly rate to take it in to have it repaired including their time to "diagnose the problem" even though I could tell them the problem and show them the video it would just be too expensive. But there is good news!
I was able to get down underneath the glove box long enough to visualize the wires I had splice together several years ago. All I did was wiggle them and the motor came back on raring to go. The wires however did seem brittle. When it warms up I may try getting under there with some of these new heat gun solder splices. When I did it I used to soldering iron and shrinked wrapped all connectors. I worked as an Electronics technician for a lot of years and it's just what I did. But I'd like to try out these new basically their butt connectors that have solder in the middle and you take a heat gun to them and they connect your wires together while shrink wrapping at the same time.Thinking that my rainy day was over was foolish of me. LOL. As I was driving into town to restock on food my gosh Dam passenger windshield wiper broke off right down at the little **** coming from the motor. The parts store was unable to locate a replacement item. So now I have to locate Dodge part number 55155032 AF.

Thank you to all of you that helped remind me of the work I had previously done getting the motor turning for the air conditioner. That was a miserable. Of time until I replace that resistor.

Quick Reply: Defroster Stopped Working