1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Shocks for 1999 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:27 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by car5car
I usually go to junk yard, check all cars with same part and find one with new ones. My local 2 junk yards have probably 20 Durangos, at least one of them has new shocks.
If I need to buy new shocks, I buy cheapest, I don't know difference between them.
Theoretically (correct me if I am wrong) shocks only control (slow down) moving car up after compressing spring. Moving car down is controlled by springs. That means your ride (soft or sporty) depends on springs, not your shocks.
That's not true. Shocks can control both compression and rebound. Some only do rebound, good ones usually do both.

Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM
ZipperStar
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by car5car
I usually go to junk yard, check all cars with same part and find one with new ones. My local 2 junk yards have probably 20 Durangos, at least one of them has new shocks.
If I need to buy new shocks, I buy cheapest, I don't know difference between them.
Theoretically (correct me if I am wrong) shocks only control (slow down) moving car up after compressing spring. Moving car down is controlled by springs. That means your ride (soft or sporty) depends on springs, not your shocks.
Your referring to compression and rebound,"up stroke", and all shocks work to hold the compression and rebound, otherwise you would bottom out in either direction. I rode enduro and we always had to adjust the rear shock so it wouldn't hit us in the ***, but not hold the inward compression stroke, as to really screw things up. Some auto and truck have both compression and rebound settings. I'm not the best at explaining things, so another input might describe the design of a basic truck or auto shock better. And yes if junk yard shocks look new use them, especially on rear with leaf springs. I'm not that lucky that way in finding good used stuff...
THX for comment

Old 05-01-2019, 08:21 PM
car5car
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for letting me know.

Quick Reply: Shocks for 1999 Durango