1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

P0505 information

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:57 AM
Cgunn916
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb P0505 information

I have and still do have an issue with my 1st gen Durango 5.9L V8 4x4. My check engine light shows the code P0505. The idle air control motor has been replaced, the throttle body was removed and cleaned plus other parts have been replaced. TPS, MAP, alternator, battery, belt, tensioner, pulley, water pump. I'm sure their is more, just cant think of them all right now.
Checked all the wiring and couldn't find any issues but the P0505 code for the IAC still remains.

Long story short, I have seen many other people with the same problem and I've read they end up buying new PCM's. I've been hoping that won't be the case and I've been researching everywhere for solutions other than a new PCM.

I found a Course Code 0831124, Next Gen Engine Management that mentions if the JTEC and SBEC Idle Air Stepper Motor or it's circuit is serviced the IAC memory must be updated. Use DRBIII to "Reset IAC". This ensures the PCM can identify step 0.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
JTEC_SBECII IAC.pdf (321.3 KB, 140 views)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Resetting IAC is easy, disconnect the battery for 30 minutes, hook it back up, turn the ignition to "On", (not start) don't touch anything, count to 10. Start the engine. PCM just relearned IAC. (along with any other sensors that it needs to learn the zero-value.)

If you are still getting the code, unplug the IAC, turn the ignition on, and probe the connector, you should see 12 volts on two of the wires. If you don't, and have already verified the wiring, the PCM is bad.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 AM
deanbw
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is you have one of two problems. 1 - you need to remove the AIC and clean the seat in the throttle body, replacing the AIC will fix nothing if the seating surface has carbon built up on it, think of it as a float needle in a carburetor , if seat is not clean, it wont seal.
The other thing it could be....is no fun....open throttle and look in intake manifold, if you see oil, you may (probably do) have a plenum leak. 5.2 and 5.9 use a two piece stupid design intake manifold and the cookie sheet that is the bottom is prone to blowing the gasket and causes a vacuum leak. Hughes engines sells a kit to fix it.

Quick Reply: P0505 information