1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Detroit axle vs moog

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:12 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I haven't had good luck with moog tie rod ends, but so far the upper balljoints seem to be doing ok. I replaced one a couple weeks ago with a torn boot, but the joint was still tight. The detroit axle parts I've seen haven't had grease fittings on them which is a big downside. I put a set of mevotech terrain tough lower balljoints in recently too. I saw others on 4x4 forums saying they've held up on their rigs, so I'm hoping they'll be under pretty low stress on the street.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:37 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I dunno where you guys are getting all these crap Moog parts. Most of the Moog product I get is still USA or Canada produced. I've seen a FEW parts marked China and even at that it pisses me off. Good or bad. I used to be an alignment guy, replaced alot of suspension parts over the years for customers and on my own stuff, I have yet to have a problem with Moog. I do know that on some parts they have come up with a cheaper line and their traditional parts seems like ever since they started offering whole control arms. I can give you a few brands to steer clear of that have given me issues of a short life but definitely Moog isn't on the list.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:24 AM
Durango John
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't use Detroit Axle

I rebuilt my front end with Detroit Axle parts and BOTH lower ball joints were shot after only 1.5 years and 12K miles of street and highway use. To be fair, I did raise the front torsion bars up by 1 inch but that just seems insane to me. I'm definitely trying MOOG or going back to Mopar next time.

Old 03-01-2020, 10:44 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Mopar does not make the parts, they have another company make them and then put "their name" on them. so no better than what you can get from the aftermarket. just more expensive.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:00 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

I've used Detroit Axle several times. Reasonable prices and fast service. I've got some parts I need to send back as the problem was something else. No issues so far on returns. The problem with Chinesium parts right now is shipping is just sitting due to the Chinese government locking transportation down.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:19 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
Mopar does not make the parts, they have another company make them and then put "their name" on them. so no better than what you can get from the aftermarket. just more expensive.
That's not completely true. Yes they are made by third party companies, but the manufacturer (dodge) typically tests to much higher standards than a lot of aftermarket companies otherwise would, else they reject the parts.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:43 PM
Bmango21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don’t know why anyone would go with Chinese crap.

The following users liked this post:
volaredon (06-21-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 08:48 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmango21

Because Americans want cheap/ Wally Wurld has made a fortune by buying Chinese and American companies have closed up. We have such a reliance on Chinesium that American car companies are running out of parts due to the current shut down of logistics. Soft drink companies are starting to worry about a shortage of artificial sweeteners. Drug companies are beginning to have a shortage for the same reason. We have cheaped out for decades and now all we can get are Chinese products.

On the oher hand, this reliance is now getting companies to look elsewhere. India and Vietnam are poised to really start eating China's lunch. The GF is a big Trump fan and when he had a local rally, she bought a MAGA hat. Inside is a "Made in China" label.

Old 06-20-2020, 04:52 PM
Orion Wright
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by that_guy
I haven't had good luck with moog tie rod ends, but so far the upper balljoints seem to be doing ok. I replaced one a couple weeks ago with a torn boot, but the joint was still tight. The detroit axle parts I've seen haven't had grease fittings on them which is a big downside. I put a set of mevotech terrain tough lower balljoints in recently too. I saw others on 4x4 forums saying they've held up on their rigs, so I'm hoping they'll be under pretty low stress on the street.
how have they held up? I’m doing a front end rebuild lift and want to know if those are the ones to go with. I saw on rockauto they got a heart lmao. I’m also going energy Suspension bushing just to completely redo it. You get new control arms too?

Old 06-20-2020, 07:02 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmango21
LOL... I'm pretty sure that was typed on laptop or phone MADE IN CHINA. It's hard to buy otherwise when everything is being made there....especially when buying online.

I got super cheap lower ball joints from Napa, "Master Ride" brand - made in China, $30 for the pair. They are greasable and now have 51K on them. I grease them about once a year and they've held up okay, but the cheap rubber boot started cracking all over and spewing grease out of the cracks when I'd pump in grease. Instead of replacing them, I let the grease spew out overnight, then wiped down the rubber with brake cleaner. Once clean, I coated them with oil resistant permatex black and let them dry overnight with the wheels off the ground. Now they have nice thick rubber. LOL

I suggest buying greasable units and grease them when you put them on, don't wait. Some don't even come with grease.

Last edited by Dodgevity; 06-20-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Detroit axle vs moog