Exhaust manifold question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 08:50 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Exhaust manifold question

Hey all,

Yep its the pest again, lol. I'm getting ready to re-assemble my 4.7L for my 2000 Durango and have been cleaning parts beforehand...When I took the stock exhaust manifolds off the original heads, I noticed they are pretty rusty looking...I'm almost ready to bolt them up to the reman heads I picked up over the weekend and had a question. Would there be any benefit hitting the exhaust manifolds with a coat (or 2) of high temp engine paint just to seal up the rust? When cleaning off the old exhaust gasket material, I gave them a pretty decent scrub...I know it's mostly just asthetics at this point, but I am genuinely curious, is it better to try and stop the corrosion with the paint or just slap them back on again?

Manifolds cleaned up and ready to go on the new heads...old heads next to them will most likely be rehab'ed for my '01 Durango.

And while I'm asking for opinions, I'll toss this one out as well...paint the valve covers? Yay or Nay??

Steve

Old 04-01-2019, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

They are cast iron, and get REALLY hot. Paint, no matter how 'high temp' it says it is, would burn off pretty quickly. (and smell terrible) Just put 'em back on.

Valve covers: Aluminum? Just clean 'em up nice. Steel? Paint 'em.

Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
They are cast iron, and get REALLY hot. Paint, no matter how 'high temp' it says it is, would burn off pretty quickly. (and smell terrible) Just put 'em back on.

Valve covers: Aluminum? Just clean 'em up nice. Steel? Paint 'em.

Kinda what I was thinking....but still wanted to ask...

How would power coating hold up I wonder ( and no it's not an option...not time no $$)

Steve

Old 04-02-2019, 08:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

If done right, powder coating is VERY durable. (but, not on exhaust manifolds. )

Quick Reply: Exhaust manifold question