1998 Dodge Durango 5.9l IAC Check Engine Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:40 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9l IAC Check Engine Light Issue

Hey all

Trying to help the roommate out with his new to him '98 Durango. When he got it, it was throwing the "P0505 Idle Air Ctrl Motor Circs". Previous owner claimed to replace the IAC valve but for sure did not remove the throttle body and clean it. Having a "spare" throttle body off the disaster that was the engine from my son's Durango, we cleaned the heck out of it and installed it on his '98. Basically we followed all the instructions that hydrashocker posed in the DIY section although to get into the nooks and crannies of the TB I used a couple of round nylon bristle brushes and then used air to make sure all debris had been removed. As it had been sitting for a while, the battery was toast. After using dad's 3500 Ram to jump it and make sure it ran, roommate went out and got a battery...Now it's exhibiting a somewhat rough idle (haven't seen it myself, but I theorize that its due to the stale gas) and it threw the P0505 again. I'm thinking it was a generic IAC valve that was used and not a Mopar branded one. Is there anything else that I am missing on the surface? Going to re-check the IAC connections and the valve...also going to check the idle...

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 09-16-2019, 07:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Usually, when I see the P0505 code, even after cleaning/replacing the IAC, that points to a bad driver in the PCM. With ignition on, (engine off.) test the four wires in the IAC connector, you should see 12 volts on two of them.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:59 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Usually, when I see the P0505 code, even after cleaning/replacing the IAC, that points to a bad driver in the PCM. With ignition on, (engine off.) test the four wires in the IAC connector, you should see 12 volts on two of them.
OK, if its a bad driver in the PCM, does it mean that the PCM can be swapped with one from the Junkyard if the numbers match or are we stuck with buying one off Ebay that is "flashed" to the VIN?

Thanks,

Steve

Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

Being a 98, and it will likely want to have the correct VIN flashed to it. I don't think it really matters where you get it from, any shop with a commercial-grade scanner should be able to flash the vin.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (09-17-2019)
Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought a spare pcm from the junkyard just to have one a few years back. As long as it's not an alarm one it should work as is. Only thing that doesn't work for me with the spare one is the fog lights.

Quick Reply: 1998 Dodge Durango 5.9l IAC Check Engine Light Issue