1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

03 durango slt plus 4.7 loosing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 PM
outdoorsron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 durango slt plus 4.7 loosing coolant

Hello: This may take awhile. Recently bought an 03 Durango slt plus 4.7 with 102000 miles. Has rear heat and air. Bought it knowing it needed a front heater core and rear heater was disconnected because of leaking pipes to rear heater. Had the front heater core replaced along with the a/c coil using Mopar parts. Still loosing a small amount of coolant even though it held 20 lbs. radiator pressure over night. No sign of leak on the drive way. I can smell coolant in the cab but It seems to me that I smell it more after it warms up but not all the time, the smell just comes and goes. It was checked for a head gasket leak. it was o-k. Any ideas ? Also would like to get a schematic of the whole cooling and heater system and components to see if I can figure it out. Also wanted to know if there is a right way and a wrong way to disconnect the rear heater. I Just don't understand why the coolant smell inside the Durango comes and goes. Engine runs perfectly. Hope someone can help.Good Luck. O - R

Old 10-02-2019, 01:27 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Put a pressure tester on it and crawl under to see if any drips. Pump up to 21 psi. Also, how was the HG test run? Best way I know is to use a block tester with the blue chemical that turns green/yellow if it fails.

Quick Reply: 03 durango slt plus 4.7 loosing coolant