1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Check guages light on, voltmeter reads zero

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2019, 09:07 PM
Tshane72
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check guages light on, voltmeter reads zero

Well...another problem in the saga that is my '02 Durango...love this truck and bought it new in 2002 but man too many things keep happening now to want me to get rid of it more and more...

The other day going into work, check gauges light come on in the cluster and my voltmeter goes to zero. Truck runs fine though. Coming home that day, everything is normal. Next day, it does the same thing, volt meter to zero. Take it to a well respected shop, they test out the charging system and the starter system. All is normal. But when they pulled it out for me I noticed the voltmeter was reading normal again...so I wonder if it only stops charging intermittently?

If there was a bad voltage regulator or blown fuse it would not be charging the battery at all right? Alternator was replaced maybe 6 years ago. So...that leads me to the battery temp sensor? What do you guys thing? I am just wondering if it gets worse my battery is going to die at some point. I don't drive it every day as I also have a Challenger. Also the Check engine light never comes on, and I hooked up my old Superchips tuner the other day and there were no trouble codes. Would the truck fail emissions inspection with a check gauges light on? Ugh...the saga continues...

Old 12-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Was that an aftermarket alternator you put in? If so, six years is a damn good stretch and you're probably seeing the beginning stages of an intermittent march to it's demise. Voltage reglulator and alternator are one, assuming you have the 4.7L. It can charge or not charge, till it permanently resorts to the latter. Check if you have limited lifetime warranty replacement.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:10 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Might be worth keeping a multimeter handy and check the voltage at the battery next time it shows low voltage.

Old 12-13-2019, 08:56 PM
Tshane72
Professional

Update: Well it finally just stopped charging altogether. I got lucky and somehow made it from Ft Bragg where I work to Black's tire closer to home..some 14 miles down the road..it was dying on me for sure..lights went out..gauges stopped working..lost power brakes...limped it to the shop just in time. luckily it did not kill the battery and it appears to be fine. Will need a new alternator. Should get the truck back tomorrow. Oh but the saga continues..still gotta address the front wheel bearings..and the rear end that has somehow shifted..now my steering wheels is off center. Fun Fun!!!!

Old 12-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Bmango21
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strange indeed, leaf bushings?

Old 12-14-2019, 02:48 PM
Tshane72
Professional

Yeah it's got to be bushings or maybe broken center bolt...or shackle bolts? Will have to wait till after the holidays. It drives ok..but the tires are noisy...hope I don't start seeing some extreme tire wear...the front end aligned pretty good, it's the rear that was off.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:22 AM
b1lk1
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broken shackle bolts or a broken shackle would present the problems with lots of noise. Just replace my shackles as they both broke while driving.

Quick Reply: Check guages light on, voltmeter reads zero