1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear hatch

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 03:15 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Rear hatch

On my 01 the rear hatch that you have to open to get at the spare tire winch, busted out around the latch handle.somehow I misplaced the latch. I had saved it at the time, always planning on fixing it.
but as the Durango since sat nearly 3 years as I replaced the engine and had to replace it again a whole 6 miles later things got lost.
Its back among the living once again and I was reminded of that pos busted out particleboard hatch. The plan all along was to make a new one out of real plywood.
My main question is about the carpet it appears to be glued to the hatch. If I get it separated from the original particleboard hatch how can I reattach it to the new hatch? I was at the junkyard this morning and got another hatch and latch but I just cut the carpet on the donor from the junkyard because the carpet on the donor was a way different color than mine. I don't want to cut my original carpet but peel it off the busted hatch.
the junkyard one was soaked anyways itlli work to donate it's latch and as a template to cut out a new hatch out of real plywood.
I have had a piece of particleboard sitting on top of the cargo area since I have owned the durango, in order to protect that carpet.
​​

Last edited by volaredon; 12-22-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:30 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

(stupid damn "smart" phone,) I went back and read read what I wrote and fixed a few things. So now hopefully it makes more sense anyone got any ideas?

Old 12-23-2019, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

I don't think a solvent would be a good idea, as it would likely eat the carpet as well. Maybe warm it with a heat gun, and see if it will soften the glue enough to get it to release. Either that, or a putty knife, with a VERY sharp edge, and use that to separate the carpet, from the board.

Quick Reply: Rear hatch