1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I accidentally drove on the freeway in 4 wheel (high) drive!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 01:02 PM
dammitdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I accidentally drove on the freeway in 4 wheel (high) drive!

Hey all,

The weather has been snowy so I have been using 4 wheel drive high to traverse mainly just residential areas/through town. Shifting back and forth between four wheel high drive and 2 wheel drive is sometimes sticky for me. So anyways I shifted my vehicle back into 2 wheel drive (or so I thought) and parked. When I came back, I jumped in my car and headed down the (wet but not snowy or icy) freeway. I drove an average of 60 mph (maybe occasionally 65 mph MAX) for about thirty minutes before arriving home and realizing right as I parked that I was still in 4 wheel drive high. Will this cause any damage?!

Old 01-16-2020, 02:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,295 Likes on 3,042 Posts

If it didn't make any rude noises, then likely you are ok.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 03:28 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 586 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by dammitdodge
Hey all,

The weather has been snowy so I have been using 4 wheel drive high to traverse mainly just residential areas/through town. Shifting back and forth between four wheel high drive and 2 wheel drive is sometimes sticky for me. So anyways I shifted my vehicle back into 2 wheel drive (or so I thought) and parked. When I came back, I jumped in my car and headed down the (wet but not snowy or icy) freeway. I drove an average of 60 mph (maybe occasionally 65 mph MAX) for about thirty minutes before arriving home and realizing right as I parked that I was still in 4 wheel drive high. Will this cause any damage?!

Eventually if you keep doing it. Otherwise, if nothing goes BANG you're probably okay. It out a little extra wear on components, but nothing to worry about unless something is about to fail anyway.

The following users liked this post:
jkeaton (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:10 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Driving on the freeway won't hurt much of anything being in 4x4 since you are mostly going straight, it's going around turns that causes it to bind up.

Quick Reply: I accidentally drove on the freeway in 4 wheel (high) drive!