1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

4.7L misfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:28 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Tried to do it the first time without holding it... ad juju...the impact rattled the chain and shattered the guides.

So now I'm cautious and hold the camshafts with a death grip.

Steve
Good to know. Thanks Steve.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (07-11-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 01:48 PM
mopman42
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, hit my next stumbling block, haha. Crank bolt not budging with my air impact wrench. Do those bolts have thread locker on them? Wondering if I should heat it or is that not recommended?

Old 07-12-2020, 02:05 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mopman42
Well, hit my next stumbling block, haha. Crank bolt not budging with my air impact wrench. Do those bolts have thread locker on them? Wondering if I should heat it or is that not recommended?
Only way I could break mine free was with a bog a$$ed Makits 1/2" drive cordless impact....my air impact wouldn't touch it.

Steve

Old 07-12-2020, 02:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Standard threads..... Impact should knock it off without trouble. I don't think they have any thread locker from the factory..... but, who knows what has happened since it was new.

Old 07-12-2020, 08:42 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Standard threads..... Impact should knock it off without trouble. I don't think they have any thread locker from the factory..... but, who knows what has happened since it was new.
I thought my impact would be up to the job as well...boy was I wrong lol. I looked up the specs on the Makita cordless impact that I was able to use from my mechanic guru...that beast has 1180 ft. lbs of breakaway torque and 220 impacts per minute...It was also the only way to free the axle nut on my '00 Durango...I had tried using an OLD school Craftsman 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 4' cheater pipe on it to loosen the axle nut...I actually STRAIGHTENED the bend in the breaker bar that had been there since the late 70's/early 80's from when my dad worked in the sawmill...borrowed the Makita and it spun off as if hand tight....

Man I need to save up for one of these bad boys of my own lol.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:12 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sporta
I thought my impact would be up to the job as well...boy was I wrong lol. I looked up the specs on the Makita cordless impact that I was able to use from my mechanic guru...that beast has 1180 ft. lbs of breakaway torque and 220 impacts per minute...It was also the only way to free the axle nut on my '00 Durango...I had tried using an OLD school Craftsman 3/4" drive breaker bar with a 4' cheater pipe on it to loosen the axle nut...I actually STRAIGHTENED the bend in the breaker bar that had been there since the late 70's/early 80's from when my dad worked in the sawmill...borrowed the Makita and it spun off as if hand tight....

Man I need to save up for one of these bad boys of my own lol.
I bought one of the Harbor Freight Earthquake 1/2 inch air impact guns. So far, I haven't found a bolt/nut that thing can't break loose.... or break off.

Working on my 96 ram, need to have a look at the brakes. So, jacked up the front a bit, and started breaking lugnuts loose. Some of them fellers were on TIGHT. (no air tools there....) So, impact socket, 4' breaker bar, six foot cheater pipe. Leaning down on the pipe trying to get the lug nut to break loose..... and the next thing I remember, I am laying on the ground, with people standing around me..... "Are you alright?" I had a horrible headache........ Seems the impact socket had shattered, and on my way down, I had BEAT my head against the side of the truck, and knocked myself out...... Was only out for a couple minutes.... but man, did my head hurt.

Old 07-13-2020, 07:55 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

i have the hf earthquake air gun, rated at 1200ft lbs breakaway torque, i figure if that wont take the bolt off (or break it off) im in over my head

I do have the dewalt 20v impact gun too, (keep it in the truck with the spare tire kit) but still prefer the air gun . . . . ymmv

Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM
mopman42
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, never thought a cordless would have so much torque... I need to save up for one of those too. I have a harbor freight earthquake 1/2 inch drive air impact I think it was the one rated at 800 ft-lbs and when I first got it was incredible. Seems to slowly be losing its strength over the years though. I just saw a video on the Milton V style high flow air hose fittings... was going to try those to see if it gives a little bit more torque to the wrench. I'll let you know how it goes.

Damn Hey you, shattered an impact socket, that is scary. Did you eventually get that lug nut off?

Last edited by mopman42; 07-13-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am laying on the ground, with people standing around me..... "Are you alright?" I had a horrible headache........ Seems the impact socket had shattered, and on my way down, I had BEAT my head against the side of the truck, and knocked myself out...... Was only out for a couple minutes.... but man, did my head hurt.
Sorry, man. The visual of that cracks me up every time.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 07:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Sorry, man. The visual of that cracks me up every time.
You weren't the only one that found humor in it. Once my wife figgered out I was *relatively* ok, she was cracking up too....... In retrospect, I laugh as well. Taught me not to buy cheap sockets too.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
mopman42 (07-13-2020), sporta (07-13-2020)

Quick Reply: 4.7L misfire