1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

1999 Dodge Durango 44re slips in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2020, 12:58 PM
cjantczak
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Durango 44re slips in reverse

Alright so, little background on this Durango I bought, it's a '99 with the 5.2, 4x4 and 44re transmission. I bought it knowing the transmission may need to be rebuilt. Tried fluid filter change, adjusted bands etc, still had slipping from 1-2 and 2-3. So since I wanted to learn, I got the manual for rebuilding the a500 and a rebuild kit, got a rebuilt valve body off ebay and did the transgo SK TFOD JR shift kit for slightly firmer shifts and the converter charge in park, replaced a couple hard parts, all new steels and clutches and seals etc. Tested it on jack stands and it shifted through all forward gears great and it went into and had reverse (note that it had reverse before the rebuild). So I go to take it for a drive, 1-2 2-3 3-4 with converter lockup is great, go to reverse and it barely moves backwards. Hm ok, so I drop the pan, check for anything broke and readjust the rear band, it was good. Put it back together try again same thing. So I hooked up a gauge and tested the rear servo pressure and I had ~180 psi little high no biggie (I know you want 145-175). So drain the fluid and drop the vb, pressure test the servos and clutches, applied with ~35psi of air, everything applies like it should. Ok, so I start taking the vb apart, I traced put the passages on the old one to give me an idea what to look at for reverse, which brought me to the 1-2 shift valve, it was stuck in the bore towards the side of the spring (not sure how to describe it really) so I gently move it some with a small flathead screwdriver and it popped back over how it should be. I downloaded the Dodge Ram FSM from here and found the fluid passage in reverse, the 1-2 valve has throttle pressure to the one side of it when in reverse, I guess my question in this long post is, would the stuck 1-2 valve cause the truck to barely move in reverse?? Any help would be appreciated, I've tried the search too. the and came up with nothing.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:43 AM
cjantczak
Professional

Well since I got no answers to my question about the valve being stuck some to one side I put it back in and same thing, but I found this reman valve body has slightly different channels in the one piece and no holes in the plate where as my old one had 2. So does this make a difference with anything? Any input would be appreciated. I'm not sure if one is a old design or what.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I had the same thing in my 99, I found out is a known issue something with the piston seals within the clutch packs having been "mis made" at the time, youll have to pull it down and check out the clutch drums for wear and possibly replace the clutch pistons (a lot of work for what the parts cost) basically needs a rebuild...… the other thing they like to do around that year is to slip between shifts especially between 2-3 (acts like it "neutrals out" briefly during the upshift) and the cause is the same. In my case I took mile all apart and the clutches and steels still were like new I could still read the numbers on the clutch discs and the "waffle pattern" was as good as new discs.... and even, all the way around. so I bought just a "seal kit" and a new front band, plus I upgraded mine a bit with a new front servo for the band and replaced the accumulator with an aluminum one. The accumulator can be had from multiple sources but for the 42/44 transmissions the only place I could find a HD servo was A&A transmission out of Indy. I called Rob there and ordered it by phone, had it in 2 days..... somehow this part for the 46/47 series trans are available more readily.
I usually do the TF-OD Jr but I did this to this particular trans "instead". I can always go back and add the TF-OD-jr any time later...…

more specifically the :front clutch pack which engages 3rd and also during reverse is probably where you'll find issue (though when you pull it out it will probably "look" fine) Mine effected 3rd gear it's probably effecting your reverse instead but its the same silly 29-cent rubber seal.
and when I called A&A he 1st thought I had the RFE series trans, I had to tell him it was the "904-based" OD" as your 44 and my 42 RE both are derived from.....he 1st said he don't have anything for the "RFE series" trans..... but they have everything imaginable for the old 727-904- 42/44/46/47 RH and RE transmissions...… and then some. going back into the 60s even.

Last edited by volaredon; 06-30-2020 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:36 PM
cjantczak
Professional

Ah man, that'll suck if I have to pull it back out. I replaced all the seals in it, the frictions and steels are new for the clutches, new front band and a relined low reverse band, I made sure whatever I pulled out I replaced. Checked the clearances and everything was within spec. Guess I'll be pulling it back. Sucks because it drives great in all the forward gears now

Quick Reply: 1999 Dodge Durango 44re slips in reverse