1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2001 Durango Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 04:00 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 2001 Durango Sensor Question

OK hive mind, I've got a serious question regarding engine sensors...specifically the dreaded Camshaft Position Sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor.

What makes Mopar (besides that it is factory OEM) the only sensors these motors like?? I picked up and installed both a camshaft position sensor and crankshaft position sensor from O'Rileys as I needed them (so I thought and still might need) that day...plus from the stealership the sensors were $96 for one and $54 for the other (don't remember which was which price wise).

Supposedly these meet or exceed OEM requirements but I'm not believing it...they LOOK exactly the same as what I removed, only cleaner and with better o-rings :P

I can get them off Amazon for a reasonable price, however the time it take to get them even with Prime (supposedly due to Covid-19) will be at least a week or so...Leaning towards just ordering them and waiting...also will check rockauto.com but usually the shipping negates the saving...plus might increase the time to get the parts...

Bottom line is there a non-Mopar brand these damn engines will play nicely with or is it cast in stone that Mopar is the only acceptable sensor to use??? Is there a company that makes "Mopar" sensors but sells under a house brand name???

Also besides the response, "Duh, its a Mopar designed part", WHY???

Any input is appreciated....

Thanks

Steve

Old 07-05-2020, 04:54 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

It's a crap shoot. Sometimes, folks can get away with GOOD quality aftermarket parts... (standard motor products, or similar) other times, if it ain't a mopar sensor, the PCM simply will NOT play with it. Maybe not at all, or maybe give you the mystery intermittent problem that may, or may not, set a code....... Best bet is just to stick with the genuine parts, and find them for a decent price online.....

I tried I 'cheapy' crank sensor in my 96 Truck, and while it would run...... I would get misfires under load. (towing, going up steep hills, etc.) Mopar crank sensor fixed it completely. Same for IAC.... the aftermarket feller would hunt for the idle, and more often than not, allow the truck to stall at stops. I put in a used IAC I had from another motor out in the barn, and all the idle issues went away...... And there are similar stories all over these forums.

So, in the famous words of Dirty Harry: "So, do ya feel lucky?"

Old 07-05-2020, 05:11 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
It's a crap shoot. Sometimes, folks can get away with GOOD quality aftermarket parts... (standard motor products, or similar) other times, if it ain't a mopar sensor, the PCM simply will NOT play with it. Maybe not at all, or maybe give you the mystery intermittent problem that may, or may not, set a code....... Best bet is just to stick with the genuine parts, and find them for a decent price online.....

I tried I 'cheapy' crank sensor in my 96 Truck, and while it would run...... I would get misfires under load. (towing, going up steep hills, etc.) Mopar crank sensor fixed it completely. Same for IAC.... the aftermarket feller would hunt for the idle, and more often than not, allow the truck to stall at stops. I put in a used IAC I had from another motor out in the barn, and all the idle issues went away...... And there are similar stories all over these forums.

So, in the famous words of Dirty Harry: "So, do ya feel lucky?"
With the week I've had...Nope I don't feel lucky at all LOL

Is there a way to tell on "used" parts (from pick-n-pull or what ever junkyard or even from the barn donor motors) if they are OEM Mopar???

Getting ready to bite the bullet and order the Mopar sensors.

Thanks for the reply

Steve

Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Usually, the mopar sensors will have the pentastar symbol on them somewhere, or some other indication that they are indeed mopar sensors. If you go to the pick and pull, grab several of each.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (07-05-2020)

Quick Reply: 2001 Durango Sensor Question