1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine Swap - 01 Durango 4.7-5.9

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:41 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

does the 360 truck have a "branded" title? something that couldnt be put back on the road, even if repaired? here in Illinois if a vehicle has a "salvage" title it can never be plated for road use again.
but being as how youre from Texas (land of no road salt) it would take a whole lot more for me "not to" fix a wreck and keep driving it..... again being from Illinois where salt and brine start earing your vehicle from new and it don't take long for most to show rust..... I actually have one of the nicer 01 Durangos in the area despite the high miles (close to what yours has) because it came from Louisana 7 years ago and spent 3 years in my garage instead of on the road..... and at that time I seen and passed up a few nice (at the time) Durangos simply BECAUSE they had the 4.7 I was determined to get a 318 or a 360.....
I wouldn't mind picking up another, with either engine in them as there are plenty in the boneyards around here to pluck the wiring and such from that I would need to make the swap.
I like the 98-03s the best of all the "gens" of Durangos, my wife loves this one and she drives it.... I only wish it was based off the full size Ram, I have never owned anything but Dodge in all my years of driving, I wish the Durango was closer in size to a Yukon. but since mine is rust free I replaced the engine and rebuilt the trans and suspension on mine.
Unfortunately I would have more into one than I could ever sell it for if I were to get and go thru another like I have this one, but then I know exactly what I have, and know it wont be "someone else's problems" and I will have a dependable vehicle I can jump into at any time and go anywhere and know I wont have a problem gettin there. These were $40k at one time, they are worth a mere fraction of that now but I cant afford to buy a $40k vehicle today, don't like where car makers have taken their vehicles (I am a fleet mechanic for the State of IL) and I am allergic to payments...… If youre rebuilding something for your own use then it don't matter what "resale value" might be. and we are going to drive the current Durango into the ground.
truth be told though I would LOVE to find a rust free Ramcharger in its place, but since they wont ever bring those back as they were a Durango will have to do and then Id have to have something else to drive, so I could park the Ramcharger for the salty winters around here.

Last edited by volaredon; 07-07-2020 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Engine Swap - 01 Durango 4.7-5.9