1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Stereo and Speaker Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 PM
Bleeding Blue
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo and Speaker Installation

2002 Durango, SLT Plus, 5.9L

So, after doing a blue LED conversion to the cabin and dash which I detailed in another post, the faded green lights on OEM stereo deck just had to go. The question then became single din requiring no modifications to easily fit the 3” opening or double din which requires the dash opening and face cover to be enlarged to fit the 4” double din. I thought about what I wanted as to capabilities and decided to go with the single din.

I wanted a system that had BT and NAV, but the navigation is only available in double din models because the 4” screen size is needed. The cost for most double din models with navigation is well over $500, plus what ever in modification cost. I was not going to spend $800-$1000 for that set up and wanted to find a cheaper way, but still have the BT and NAV functions.

I purchased a Pioneer deck model # SPH-10BT from Crutchfield for $150. Had them supply the modified harness so it was plug in play for an extra $25 and they give you the required antenna cable, trim kit and shipping at no cost. You can add the needed steering wheel controls for about an extra $75, but I elected to not install because I never really used that function.

This system has BT, USB charge at front of deck, am/fm radio, wired microphone, detachable face plate and a pull-out phone cradle. The cradle slides back into deck if you do not want to use it. Since you have BT capability any music on your phone can be played, you can call out / receive calls, you can bring up Nav on your phone, install in cradle and have it sit securely in cradle above deck so it looks like all one unit. You can also download Pioneer App and have all types of interface options between phone and deck. I suggest researching the model # if your interested because there are just too many things to list about the unit here. Note, this model does not play CD’s.

The installation is very easy. Once you remove the old deck there are only (2) connections. The main interface cable and the antenna. If you go with the steering wheel controls, a modification to cable harness is needed which Crutchfield does not do and needs to be done at the vehicle. The stereo deck fits dash opening perfectly. The trim kit also fits perfectly, and the end result is a nice clean looking professional flush finish with no openings or gaps.

Because I still had the OEM speakers installed and one was crackling along with a dead tweeter I decide to change out the speaker set up too. I installed (4) Polk 6 ½” Coaxial speakers, model DB651. Because they are Coaxial and have a built in tweeter, I disconnected the (4) OEM tweeters installed in upper door panels. Now I just run the (4) speakers and I think they sound really good.

In my opinion this stereo and speaker set up, along with capabilities and sound is a really good set up for the overall price an ease of installation.

Last edited by Bleeding Blue; 07-17-2020 at 03:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Stereo and Speaker Installation