Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2020, 05:33 AM
willie killagain
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery Coolant Leak

Greetings Everyone,

Hope all are well.

I have a slow drip coolant leak that is getting the best of Me. I have a 00,RT,5.9. The leak seems to be happening when the truck is sitting over night in the carport. I have noticed over the last week or so what started out as a small puddle growing in size as the days go by. It seems to be dripping down from somewhere onto the harmonic balancer then to the ground. Hoses seem to be fine, no pooling up around the thermostat housing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,Willie

Old 08-07-2020, 08:01 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Water pump weep hole, or the bypass hose from water pump to intake manifold. (cleverly concealed under the bracket for the a/c compressor/alt.)

Old 08-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by willie killagain
Greetings Everyone,

Hope all are well.

I have a slow drip coolant leak that is getting the best of Me. I have a 00,RT,5.9. The leak seems to be happening when the truck is sitting over night in the carport. I have noticed over the last week or so what started out as a small puddle growing in size as the days go by. It seems to be dripping down from somewhere onto the harmonic balancer then to the ground. Hoses seem to be fine, no pooling up around the thermostat housing. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,Willie
Put your phone in video mode and film the underside of the water pump. There is a weep hole that starts leaking coolant as a warning when the bearings are failing. Another symptom is that the pump will also start chirping and tapping when you cold start.

Old 08-08-2020, 03:16 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

In years past, the coloring of the coolant will leave a residue around the weep hole if it's leaking. If you replace the pump, replace that aggravating bypass hose while you're at it. It would be a good time to flush the coolant and replace it with fresh along with a new thermostat.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:57 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

...Also, a pressure tester can be rented from just about any auto parts store.... free when you take it back. Pump it up to psi on radiator cap, get under the truck and and wait for the drips.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 02:17 AM
willie killagain
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Everyone for Your helpful replies. I've decided since the truck has 183.000 miles that tomorrow I will install a new water pump ,timing chain,& what not. Hopefully I 'll catch the leak by doing this.Ill post an update "when I've made it to the other side" Peace &thanks again for all of You good thoughts & idea's.

The following users liked this post:
Nymeria02 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 11:48 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 584 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by willie killagain
Thanks Everyone for Your helpful replies. I've decided since the truck has 183.000 miles that tomorrow I will install a new water pump ,timing chain,& what not. Hopefully I 'll catch the leak by doing this.Ill post an update "when I've made it to the other side" Peace &thanks again for all of You good thoughts & idea's.
With that many miles, a new timing set may really wake the truck up. This winter the heat improvement may surprise you.

Quick Reply: Mystery Coolant Leak