1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2020, 06:49 PM
RLewis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Noise

I appreciate any help with my 03 Durango 4.7. The noise started about 19 months ago/10k miles ago. My mechanic said it was the A/C compressor and when it got too bad;loud I would need to replace. A few weeks ago, I switched to a synthetic oil and the noise appeared to get louder. Removing the drive belt did not silence the noise, so I guess it is in the engine.

Below is a link to video of the noise. 130k miles. Head gasket and timing chains/guides/tensioners were replaced 45k miles ago. The "speed" of the noise increases with RPMs. The noise is persistent at startup through operating temp and beyond -- does not stop. Using a mechanic stethoscope, it appears to be loudest at the front passenger side of the engine around the A/C compressor. Any ideas of what the noise could be? Thank you in advance.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:15 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 379 Likes on 340 Posts

Take off the serpentine belt and run it for a quick minute. If you still hear it, it's not the compressor or anything in the belt path.

Old 10-14-2020, 08:19 PM
RLewis

I appreciate the response. Yes, I removed the serpentine belt and the noise is still there.

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Take off the serpentine belt and run it for a quick minute. If you still hear it, it's not the compressor or anything in the belt path.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:06 PM
Dodgevity
Champion

Originally Posted by RLewis
I appreciate the response. Yes, I removed the serpentine belt and the noise is still there.
Sorry, I missed that part in your initial post. It sounds like a valve issue. Are you getting a check engine light? If so what are the codes? You may need to pull the valve covers, at least the one closest to the sound.

Old 10-14-2020, 09:56 PM
RLewis

Great suggestion. I will do that. There have been no error codes. Are you thinking a valve is stuck open (eg dropped seat or bad lifter)? Also, here is another video taken while I open the throttle with the mic near the oil fill. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2020, 07:54 AM
Dodgevity
Champion

Great suggestion. I will do that. There have been no error codes. Are you thinking a valve is stuck open (eg dropped seat or bad lifter)?
Maybe. Being that there are no codes, it's hard to tell what is going on there. I recently replaced all my lifters due one seizing and ejecting a rocker, but it generated a code. Did the noise start suddenly, or develop over time? How is the oil pressure and has the engine been run low on oil?

Last edited by Dodgevity; 10-15-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:15 AM
RLewis

The noise did develop over time. My mechanic incorrectly believe it was the A/C compressor 10k miles ago and it is louder now. I think the increase in loudness began after switching to synthetic, but that might be my imagination. There have been no warning lights about oil pressure, but I just ordered a gauge and it will be here in time for the weekend. Following the head gasket repair 5 years ago, there was a valve cover leak. For this is reason, it is possibly that oil was low at some point. Thanks.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:10 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I appreciate any help with my 03 Durango 4.7. The noise started about 19 months ago/10k miles ago. My mechanic said it was the A/C compressor and when it got too bad;loud I would need to replace. A few weeks ago, I switched to a synthetic oil and the noise appeared to get louder. Removing the drive belt did not silence the noise, so I guess it is in the engine.

Below is a link to video of the noise. 130k miles. Head gasket and timing chains/guides/tensioners were replaced 45k miles ago. The "speed" of the noise increases with RPMs. The noise is persistent at startup through operating temp and beyond -- does not stop. Using a mechanic stethoscope, it appears to be loudest at the front passenger side of the engine around the A/C compressor. Any ideas of what the noise could be? Thank you in advance.

https://vimeo.com/468247053

OK, my $0.02 here....it sounds similar to my 2000 Durango with the 4.7L V-8 when the passenger side timing chain tensioner was failing. It might have already damaged the plastic timing chain guide...that could be the clicking sound. When I did mine, I totally screwed up the first time and (because it was in the timing chain kit) installed a metal backing plate behind the passenger side tensioner. Check for posts under my user name....should be a pic of what I am talking about...if you need me to I think I still have them on my PC...

Best of luck.

Steve

Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Great suggestion. I will do that. There have been no error codes. Are you thinking a valve is stuck open (eg dropped seat or bad lifter)? Also, here is another video taken while I open the throttle with the mic near the oil fill. Thanks!

https://vimeo.com/468381297
From experience, (dropped valve seat on cylinder #2 on my 2000 Durango and #8 on my 2001 Durango) it would not be running that "good" if at all....also should be tripping a check engine light showing a misfire. Hope this helps

Steve

Old 10-28-2020, 11:41 PM
RLewis

Thanks for the response. I pulled the valve cover and it looked normal. The right secondary timing chain could be a little loose, but I am not sure. It is my understanding that the tensioners rely on oil pressure and when I inspected there was no oil pressure. Another mechanic friend I showed it to also believed it was the timing chain. He listened to the noise and recommended trying a Lucas Oil additive. I tried the additive and it didn’t work. Is this something I can live with for a while (just noise) or should I replace soon?

Originally Posted by sporta
From experience, (dropped valve seat on cylinder #2 on my 2000 Durango and #8 on my 2001 Durango) it would not be running that "good" if at all....also should be tripping a check engine light showing a misfire. Hope this helps

Steve

Quick Reply: Engine Noise