1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Power steering question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 09:25 PM
davebenn52
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering question

I have a 1999 durango my wife absolutely loves! I haven't been in here for a while because it has been doing what it needs. Most of the time I can figure it out and get the problems solved to keep her happy. ( I mean them happy ) So my most recent issue is the power steering. the pump is fine, the o-rings going into the steering box however starting leaking due to the 180,00 miles on them. I changed them out, and now it sounds like the tires are trying to rip the plastic fender wells out when we turn somewhat sharp. My first guess would be some kind of cavitation somewhere. should the system be bled? If so how??? Oh by the way it is a1999 Durango XLT 5.2 4x4. Best engine for that SUV if you ask me!

Old 12-01-2020, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Jack up the front, get the front tires off the ground. Check your fluid level, top up as necessary. Turn the wheels lock to lock several times, engine off. Recheck fluid. Start the engine, turn the wheels lock to lock several times. Shut off engine. Check fluid. If it is foamy, leave it sit for 30 minutes or so, re-check fluid level, start it up, turn wheels lock to lock again. (several times.) Just keep doing that till you don't see any more air whipped into the fluid.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:33 PM
davebenn52
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found IT!

Hey You, Thank for for the quick response. I actually did all that because I over filled the pump on accident when we put it all back together. I probably should have mentioned that in my initial question. However I did happen to figure it out and it had nothing to do with the steering after all. It just so happens I was frustrated so I took it out and drove it hard in a parking lot, and nothing! Well I came back to my house, and while I was backing it in the driveway it made the noise. It was the fan shroud hitting the fan just enough to make it sound like something was coming apart. I had some trouble with the shroud when installing the new radiator just a couple weeks before. So there it is! Like I said, Thank you for the response.

Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

Gotta love the easy ones, right?

Quick Reply: Power steering question