1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changing Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 07:48 PM
jon_h
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Info

Another year and yet another 98 Durango owner bailed out! Thanks much!

Old 11-06-2016, 09:20 PM
RonS12

Old is a relative term. Thanks for the help. I was not sure to come in from the front or engine compartment. Again Thanks

Old 12-27-2016, 04:54 PM
sarcstk1inct

The help was appreciated... Made it a lot easier since I have no torx wrenches since my husband took all the tools and I am just too damned stubborn to take the car to the shop for a simple headlight change.,.

Thanks again.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM
bbddpp
Rookie
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay resurrecting this thread in the hopes someone can stop me from accidentally or on purpose breaking something out of anger here.

First time bulb replacement on my 2001 Durango as the passenger side burnt out. I can easily see and feel the socket on driver's side but I can't get any leverage or get the thing to turn counterclockwise with my hand, gloved or ungloved. Not sure if this is just stuck or am I doing something wrong...How can you guys get leverage in that tight of a spot? I can't even get a finger on the one tab of the gasket to turn it.

So to make matter worse, on to the passenger side, I have shook the living HECK out of the air intake port and I see the top tab and I'm pulling with all my might pretty much towards the front of the truck and this intake is NOT coming off those tabs to even get me at the passenger side. You guys make it sound like a little jiggle holding this thing and it's sliding right forward. Mine has plenty of play but it sure as heck is not disengaging at all.

Any tips to make this easier? I'm not a dummy, but I don't seem to be having a lot of luck getting leverage or having success with the instructions here...

Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

if you want to you can open the filter box and remove the filter to reach in and squeeze the tabs on the tube to get it to release, although at that point you may be just as easy to take off the lower part of the box from its fender mount.

I dont remember any difficulty getting the bulbs to release from the housing sockets either.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The easiest way to me (involves a little more work) one torx screw bottom outer edge of the actual headlight remove that and pop the marker light out. Then there are 3 10mm bolts to remove the entire headlight assembly. Doesn't take very long and makes it way easier to get the bulb out

Quick Reply: Changing Headlight