1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Changing Headlight

Old 04-25-2004, 03:25 AM
phrosen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Headlight

Hey, I need to know how to change the headlight (the bulb) in my 2001 Durango.. I looked @ the manual but it doesnt help me to much.. is there any site I can go to or not

thanks

Old 04-28-2004, 07:37 PM
who1975
Default RE: Changing Headlight

phrosen-

I had the same problem. But I figured it out. here's how to do it:

First you will need a special screwdriver. I think it was a Torx driver that I used. If you look just below the main headlight and above the turn signal, you will see a little black screw. Use the special screwdriver to remove this screw. Once that is done, you can pull out the turn signal assembly. I just let it hang to the side. Now you should be able to see 3 or 4 bigger bolts. Unscrew them and you can pull the main headlight assembly out. You do have to use some force to pull it out because there is a plastic piece that is attached to the frame that is I think pressure stuck (I am not sure of the term) I thought I was going to break the headlight but it came out. Then just unscrew the harness and pull the bulb out. While the bulb is out, you might as well replace it with a better one like Sliverstar 9007. They are much better than stock. I hope this helps. It has been a while since Idid this but once I did one side the other was easy.

Bill

Old 05-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Saint
Veteran
Default RE: Changing Headlight

You don't need to do all that work, if you look inside the fenderwell there will be a cut-out on each side where you can get at the bulbs from just reach in there pop the bulb out and pop the new ones in, I was able to do it at 8 o'clock with only a flashlight. I don't know how the airbox is mounted on the 318s and 360s, but on the 287 you have to remove the airbox in order to get at the passenger side bulb, but other than that there is no removal of anything else like I said it's simple

Old 04-30-2011, 06:28 PM
DurangoNColorado
Thumbs up Replacing headlamp ('00 Durango - Sylvania #9007)

As previously posted, Saint was correct in that you don't have to remove the whole headlight lens assembly to replace the lamp itself. Just finished this simple task in about 30min - make sure to wear latex/vinyl gloves so as not to transfer oils to the lamp surface!

[Saint: You don't need to do all that work, if you look inside the fenderwell there will be a cut-out on each side...]

These are the driver and passenger side access points, respectively. As you can see, the passenger side is blocked by the air intake port...not a problem!

Grasp the intake port close to it's base on top and bottom and gently wiggle up and down until the tabs are released and unit slides out toward the front of the vehicle - Note: there is not enough clearance to pull it out all the way, but you will get enough room to reach the passenger side access point.

Again, respectively, driver and passenger side lamp access points. Now you can reach in on either side and grasp the harness ring, turning about 1/4 turn counter-clockwise (left) to unlock. Then, pull the lamp straight out from the lens enclosure and lift the lock tab to pull from connector [Note: The port is keyed with notches, the two spaced widest apart fit at the bottom].

Now, just replace with the new bulb and carefully insert back into the lens assembly, turning right to lock (good time to replace gaskets if worn/missing).

Hope this helps!
~D

Last edited by DurangoNColorado; 04-30-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

dude this was a 7 year old thread the OP is NOT around anymore

Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
DurangoNColorado
Cool Dude..

..it's obviously still searchable with Google, that's how I found it when I needed it - maybe someone besides you does, too. peez..

Old 01-11-2012, 07:35 AM
montyollie

Originally Posted by DurangoNColorado
..it's obviously still searchable with Google, that's how I found it when I needed it - maybe someone besides you does, too. peez..
.... aaand... that is how I wound up here! Thanks a million. Both headlights on my (new to me) 2001 Durango just blew out, and I was a bit perplexed, so googled.

Thanks again. MUCH appreciated.

Jo

Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Once Far Off

Originally Posted by DurangoNColorado
Same here. Just joined this forum because of this post. THANKS!!!

Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
logikfive
Professional

Explains why this topic has like 15,000 views. haha

Old 03-10-2012, 06:39 AM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha this is awesome. Shows how an old post can help a few people out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Headlight