1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Does The 1st Gen Durango Have A Front Axle Disconnect?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 03:46 PM
Skeptic68W
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Does The 1st Gen Durango Have A Front Axle Disconnect?

Hello all,

I am a regular member over on the 2nd gen ram section of this forum. Considering picking up a 1st gen durango, and am doing some research on transfer cases and years of availability.

I see that the early years of the first gen offered the 242 transfer case, which had a 2wd option. Initially, I found this very attractive from the standpoint of fuel economy (dismal as it may be), lower wear and tear on front drivetrain components, and the fact that it is a manually selected case rather than electronic.

However, it appears to me that the durangos do not have any sort of front axle disconnect system like the Rams...so therefore all the front drivetrain (driveshaft, axle shafts, etc) would be spinning regardless of the 2wd option. The only difference is whether they are being actively powered through the T-case or being spun by being attached to the front wheels which are being pushed by the overall movement of the truck. Is there an axle disconnect I don't see, or is this correct? I know with the rams because there is an axle disconnect, you will save a tad on fuel and wear because the disconnect works in tandem with the open front diff meaning the front driveshaft, as well as the center axle shaft and the pumpkin do not move in 2wd.

Thanks

Old 04-03-2021, 03:13 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

No disconnects, so always spinning. 98-00 had the 231 or 242 case. In 98 and 99 the 242 had the 2wd position, in 00 it didn't. 01-03 switched to electrically shifted cases. There were both full time and part time cases still, but as with 00 the fulltime electronic case didn't have 2wd. I think some low optioned later year trucks had a case with no low range too.

I have the 242 in my 99 and don't really notice any difference in economy in 2wd or fulltime 4wd. I stopped worrying about shifting between 2wd and 4 fulltime about 5 years and and have just left it in fulltime (unless I need lock of course).

Quick Reply: Does The 1st Gen Durango Have A Front Axle Disconnect?