1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Need new bolts for front driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 09:00 PM
cdhmb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new bolts for front driveshaft

Hi all, I'm putting in a new front driveshaft for 2001 Durango and need 4 new bolts for the front of the front driveshaft. Been searching all over the place, but can't find specs on what kind of bolts they are & also can't find anyplace to buy them. I'm trying the dealer, but not luck yet. I think they are M15 hex bolts that need to be torqued to 80ft-lbs. Anyone know the answer?

Old 04-07-2021, 07:19 AM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Look up diagrams on some of the various dealer parts sites (just Google mopar parts). Sometimes you have luck finding thread specs there. Otherwise you may just have to get some grade 8s from the hardware store.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:28 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by cdhmb1
Hi all, I'm putting in a new front driveshaft for 2001 Durango and need 4 new bolts for the front of the front driveshaft. Been searching all over the place, but can't find specs on what kind of bolts they are & also can't find anyplace to buy them. I'm trying the dealer, but not luck yet. I think they are M15 hex bolts that need to be torqued to 80ft-lbs. Anyone know the answer?

Do you have one of the old bolts? If so, take it to the hardware store and use a thread checker on it. When you find the marked hole it threads in and out of easily, that's the size you need. Get 5 the same length (in case you drop one and can't find it) If you don't have any bolts, head to the bone yard and get one off a resident there. I prefer to use new hardware when possible unless it's a really unique bolt just for safety and to avoid galled threads. Get an old one and head to the hardware store. I usually go with grade 8, well, just because....

Old 04-08-2021, 08:44 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My driveshaft is out. The bolts are sitting in a magtray in my shed. I can look today and can likely verify what they are for you. Just from my memory, my best guess would be either 5/16-18 or 8mm x 1.25. They seemed on the small side in my opinion, but the front diff in these is tiny so I'm sure it would go before those bolts do.

I could be wrong. Let me verify before you buy anything. I took this thing out like 5 years ago so done trust my memory that well

Quick Reply: Need new bolts for front driveshaft