1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

I need some knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 10:40 PM
Brandon Hamilton
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some knowledge

I drive a 98 Durango 5.9l 4x4 and ive done ran into the issue with the lower caliper bolt hole stripped,on the knuckle.which seems like a common problem with these particular truck years.ive done tried the oversized bolt and i now just want to replace the whole knuckle.but now im running into the issue of i cant find one at any part store any website ect..junkyard is my last option my ? Is which models other than the 98 4x4 5.9 can i pull the knuckle from or are these even interchangeable? Right now i actually have a bolt on the hole and welded so it wont dig my tims like it done before it is just temporary until i get a knuckle i do not recommend this, it is dangerous because of cast iron not being a strong metal for weld to grip but it is working for me but i need a knuckle.

Last edited by Brandon Hamilton; 04-03-2021 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-06-2021, 06:48 PM
that_guy
Champion
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Should be interchangeable with 98-99 4wd durangos and 97-99 4wd dakotas. You could probably just heli coil them though. I did that with mine and it was ok for years before I changed to 03 knuckles and front brakes.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:31 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 381 Likes on 342 Posts

Be sure to read the related thread below. It’s the most on point I’ve seen this feature.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:15 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon Hamilton
I drive a 98 Durango 5.9l 4x4 and ive done ran into the issue with the lower caliper bolt hole stripped,on the knuckle.which seems like a common problem with these particular truck years.ive done tried the oversized bolt and i now just want to replace the whole knuckle.but now im running into the issue of i cant find one at any part store any website ect..junkyard is my last option my ? Is which models other than the 98 4x4 5.9 can i pull the knuckle from or are these even interchangeable? Right now i actually have a bolt on the hole and welded so it wont dig my tims like it done before it is just temporary until i get a knuckle i do not recommend this, it is dangerous because of cast iron not being a strong metal for weld to grip but it is working for me but i need a knuckle.

Ooh! I have lot's of knowledge. Never lick a steak knife. Don't stick a fork into a toaster glowing orange. Lastly, don't fry bacon in the nude! Seriously, I do have a point. (I just wear a hat a lot and nobody can see it.) Have you tried Ebay? I've had good luck over the years with some really obscure vehicles. Most of the parts are made of Chinesium but that's pretty much all there is right now.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:53 AM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What that guy said. But you said you already oversized the holes (been there, still have one oversized for like 7 years now) but the years he told you will work. Needs to be 4wd. Needs to be a gear box steering setup, not rack and pinion to the best of my knowledge. 98-99 I know for sure were still a gear box.

Anyway, before you even pull your knuckles to swap them, just go ahead and order the 9mm helicoil kit. There's about an 85% chance you're going to strip at least one of the holes threads out when you put the caliper bolts in.

These knuckles were just a really bad design. They finally fixed the issue in 2003 which is why a lot of people swap for the 03 knuckles. But then in 2004 they just made an entirely new Durango so it was weird that they fixed it one year before they stopped making them.

Quick Reply: I need some knowledge