1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

2 power windows dropped just hours apart

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 06:13 PM
willowbee
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 power windows dropped just hours apart

Dear Forum Mechanics - I was just saying this very day how lucky I have been not to have any car repairs.
Then leaving the grocery , getting back into my car , I see the front passenger window down. I did not leave it down.
The control does not raise it there is noise but no lift.
Then I get home and put a tarp over the open window ( we may have rain).
I opened the back passenger side door to tuck an edge of the tarp in the door. When I closed the door ( my drive way is an incline)
So I pushed the door to close it. As it shut , the window dropped down ! So now that's two windows down in the same afternoon!!!
I think the failure has to do with the 99 degree heat the last two days.
I'm guessing some plastic part or rubber part melted;? cracked? --obviously some part failed .
I've talked to three shops they all want hundreds of dollars and they want to replace the whole
window regulator with the motor. I hear that window regulators fail a lot.
That manufacturer has a nerve making an assembly that cant's be fixed, except by replacing the whole thing.
The weakest part ( their bread and butter) fails and they get another order for the entire assembly!!

I'd like your advice.
Recently I was given very clear advice about the wet on my driver's side floor.(I have a loose window gasket that allowed rain in .)
I know this time there is obvious repair needed.
I'm in Austin TX, I would also appreciate recommendation for a economic mechanic.
I'm 71, unemployed and both my tenants are moving, so no income in July and just my Soc sec.
Sincerely,
Resa
Durango 2003

Last edited by willowbee; 06-15-2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: I want to add my veh type and age

Quick Reply: 2 power windows dropped just hours apart