Power seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 06:40 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Power seats

Hey all,

Question regarding the power seat wiring on 2001-2003. For your consideration i present the following 2 screen grabs from the 2002 Service manual from the FAQ section:

Drivers seat wiring diagram

Passenger seat wiring diagram

Now as best I can tell, the 2001-2003 Power seats are served off the same 50a fuse ($14 in the PDC) and it splits off at S342 and goes from GY/RD (that continues onto the drivers seat) and GY/RD to BK/PK to the passenger seat.

Junction
So with that being given for the '01-'03 Durangos, is it possible to upgrade fuse 4 (40a) in a 2000 Duragno's PDC to a 50a and then splice off to the passenger seat as in the above screen grabs? Here is the 'power seat diagram from the '99 service manual to compare:

99 service manual

Reason I am asking is my passenger seat in my '00 is dying and I have a set of heated (will tackle that issue much later) power seats out of a 2001-2003 Durango that I want to swap in. The driver's is a no brainer, just plug and play...the passenger is the one that needs power added.

Let me know if this sound feasible.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Old 08-15-2021, 12:45 AM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mean, I'd personally get the seats complete wiring harness out of your donor rig, but other than that, everything seems fine, and it should be a fairly simple swap/upgrade

Old 08-15-2021, 01:23 AM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hippiezombiecow
I mean, I'd personally get the seats complete wiring harness out of your donor rig, but other than that, everything seems fine, and it should be a fairly simple swap/upgrade
Unfortunately, I don't have access to an '01 + donor. I do have 2 sets of front bucket seats out-of an '01+ Durango. Next time pick-n-pull has 1/2 off days I intend to get the center console and all the parts for heated seats...just right now I have a passenger seat that is falling apart and the wife doesn't care for that lol. So after fixing the fan issue, I'll be doing the seats.

Thanks

Steve

The following users liked this post:
Hippiezombiecow (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 10:58 AM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sporta
Unfortunately, I don't have access to an '01 + donor. I do have 2 sets of front bucket seats out-of an '01+ Durango. Next time pick-n-pull has 1/2 off days I intend to get the center console and all the parts for heated seats...just right now I have a passenger seat that is falling apart and the wife doesn't care for that lol. So after fixing the fan issue, I'll be doing the seats.

Thanks

Steve
I feel that, I'm just not too much a fan of wiring, lol. Plus I don't know if they use the same guage wiring for the seats, I don't see a need for a bigger guage wire, but you never know. I don't know if you're local to the central washington area, but I know here in Ellensburg we have a couple 01 to 03 durango's, but, with being a small town, the scrap yards can be not so budget friendly. That being said, good luck and I hope the upgrade goes smoothly for you

sporta (08-15-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 11:34 AM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by Hippiezombiecow
I feel that, I'm just not too much a fan of wiring, lol. Plus I don't know if they use the same guage wiring for the seats, I don't see a need for a bigger guage wire, but you never know. I don't know if you're local to the central washington area, but I know here in Ellensburg we have a couple 01 to 03 durango's, but, with being a small town, the scrap yards can be not so budget friendly. That being said, good luck and I hope the upgrade goes smoothly for you
Thanks. I'm in Northern Nevada and fortunately there are 3 local (relatively close) yards and several in Nor-Cal just a couple of hours away. Not too scared with the actual wiring seeing how this is how my Durango currently looks like:

Dash partially removed to replace HVAC fan
I will be sure to check wire size to make sure I match or exceed the wire size installed.

Steve

Hippiezombiecow (08-19-2021)
Old 09-07-2021, 08:24 PM
sporta
Veteran

Success! Now I have a working power passenger seat and a happy wife . I also totally disassembled the center console and "fixed" a few broken pieces of plastic in there and tightened everything back up. Now everything fits and looks correct. I found that StarBond CA glue works GREAT! (Especially with the accelerator) I used both the thick for filling in gaps and the medium to fix a couple of broken screw mounts (https://starbond.com/?rfsn=2506286.9ab9e4). I had to add "washers" to the front console where the 4wd shifter is located, I roughed up the washers with 80 grit sand paper and used the thick CA glue on the plastic then hit the washer with the accelerator and pressed together. Then i ran another coat around the washer (it was a tad oversized) and hit it again with the accelerator. Bonded great and everything feels more solid than ever before. As for the power leg for passenger seat, I tapped the drivers seat and spliced in wire just below the connection.to the seat and ran wires under the carpet pad, under the duct work and under the passenger seating area. Made a small hole in the carpet and viola....done deal. I also bumped the fuse up from 40a to 50a like in the 2002 service manual.

Hope this helps someone out in the future....

Steve

Hippiezombiecow (09-15-2021)

Quick Reply: Power seats