1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Rear blinkers staying solid, front ones flash.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 02:13 PM
Dakota 5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear blinkers staying solid, front ones flash.

Hello, got my 99 durango 5.9L SLT+ and I just had fairly strange issue start right before I moved. (drove 900 miles and didn't even know it was a problem till I got out here lol) well my rear blinkers are staying solid if the parking lamps are on and my front ones are flashing. I have full LEDs around the truck, tail light housings have built in LEDs not bulbs, I have a Led Flasher relay to negate hyper flashing I tried replacing this already and the problem persists. I've tried pulling all the front bulbs and seeing if the rears work but they still don't, I inspected the wiring harness for the tail lights to see if there were any shorts but can't seem to find anything wrong, the harness looks brand new. I'm down to thinking it could be the multi function switch but I just replaced that about a year ago because I run LEDs in the fog lamp and if you don't do the high beam fog lamp mod while running led fogs it destroys the multifunction switch due to the wiring. I was also thinking it could have been the housings themselves but not sure unless I can get a spare housing to test, I'll have to find a friend with a rango to swap tail lights with.

Problem: rear blinkers stay solid when activated with the blinker switch while the parking lights are on. Blinkers work fine with parking lights off and the hazards work as they normally do with the parking lights on or off. The blinkers are not solid on until I flip the blinker switch when the parking lights are on. This is what's leading me to a multifunction switch because if it were a short they'd probably stay solid on every time I turn on the parking lights but they aren't solid on until I flip the switch.

Let me know if any of you have any suggestions? As far as the mods and such that I've done the entire head and tail light systems should be factory except for the LEDs and Led Flasher.
​​

Old 08-10-2021, 08:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Did you have to wire in resistors in the rear lights?

Old 08-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Dakota 5.9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you have to wire in resistors in the rear lights?
No they came with plug in resistors that you can remove if you have a led Flasher relay, I have leds all round so I use a led Flasher relay and I unplugged the resistors.
I forgot to mention when I have the blinker on and I shut off the car and pull out the key the blinker will keep flashing in the front for about a minute then it flashes fast and cuts out all with the vehicle off. I wash thinking a ground issue but I checked all my grounds around the and they're solid. I have a 200 amp alternator so I have 0G wire to the body and frame for battery grounds as well. Is there a specific ground the blinkers use?

Quick Reply: Rear blinkers staying solid, front ones flash.