1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Advice About Buying a 2003 Durango

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 01:10 AM
Oogoolbad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice About Buying a 2003 Durango

Hello,

I am considering buying a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT with 143,000 miles on it. Private seller asking for $3,300. Guy said it needs new tires. The side of the base of the driver’s seat has a big tear in it. The gas cap doesn’t close. He said he was told by a mechanic that the whole assembly will need to be replaced. Vehicle has been sitting in storage for five months. Has a new battery.

Based on the said information, can you guys advise what price I should pay and what I should look for when viewing the Durango again? What are some common issues it would have at this age and mileage? Help is appreciated :]

Old 08-22-2021, 02:36 AM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogoolbad
Hello,

I am considering buying a 2003 Dodge Durango SLT with 143,000 miles on it. Private seller asking for $3,300. Guy said it needs new tires. The side of the base of the driver’s seat has a big tear in it. The gas cap doesn’t close. He said he was told by a mechanic that the whole assembly will need to be replaced. Vehicle has been sitting in storage for five months. Has a new battery.

Based on the said information, can you guys advise what price I should pay and what I should look for when viewing the Durango again? What are some common issues it would have at this age and mileage? Help is appreciated :]
The price of any vehicle varies between states, and sometimes even between counties, here in washington, I bought my durango with 125k miles for 1800, and an asking price of 2500, most people will take about 70% of asking price if you have cash in hand, and I definitely think you could talk him down quite a bit even after that. Tires are gonna run you anywhere from 800 to 1000, if the brakes are bad, that's gonna cost you 150 to do it yourself, the gas assembly could run you about 50 from a scrapyard, if the heater core is bad, that's going to be another pain, and would cost about 2k if you take it to a shop. So, there's definitely a lot of negotiating room, but definitely check Kelly bluebook, or even just compare its quality and price to other durangos in your county, best of luck.

Quick Reply: Advice About Buying a 2003 Durango