1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Top end rebuild advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 03:58 PM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Top end rebuild advice

Not too long ago, I made a giant mistake and left the radiator cap off of my 2000 dodge durango, with the 4.7. She obviously overheated, and since 4.7's don't like heat, I almost dropped a valve seat. Once I can afford it, I'm sending the heads to "cylinderhead services" in spokane to be rebuilt, I'll be replacing the timing set, and then, obviously, all of the gaskets, new head bolts, and all new fluids. One question I can't seem to find an answer for, is, should I replace the dowel pins? Would it hurt to leave them? Some other questions I have are, should I check anything else? Is dropping the pan necessary? Other than remembering to put the radiator cap on, what kind of preventative maintenance can I do? Is 50/50 an okay mix for coolant where I live? It can get down to negative in the winter, and tends to be over 100 in the summer. Should I test the thermostat? It has a fairly new 180 degree thermostat, should I go lower? Can I go lower? Is there anything I'm not thinking of? I'm babbling at this point, so, as always, I appreciate any help or advice, and thank you so much for your time.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,290 Likes on 3,037 Posts

Don't worry about the dowel pins. If they aren't sheared off, they are fine.

Did you get coolant into the oil? If not, don't worry about the bottom end. (change the oil though..... I think getting coolant in there while pulling the heads is simply unavoidable.)

50/50 should be fine.

Replace the thermostat. I advise staying stock temps though, that is what the PCM expects, and what it is designed to run at.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (08-11-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:13 PM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't worry about the dowel pins. If they aren't sheared off, they are fine.

Did you get coolant into the oil? If not, don't worry about the bottom end. (change the oil though..... I think getting coolant in there while pulling the heads is simply unavoidable.)

50/50 should be fine.

Replace the thermostat. I advise staying stock temps though, that is what the PCM expects, and what it is designed to run at.
What about the timing cover gasket? As of right now, I plan on replacing it, but could I use rtv and save myself $60, lol

Old 08-11-2021, 09:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Maybe..... Question is, do you want to try it, and find out it didn't work, and get to do it again???

Think I would spend the money, buy the gaskets, and call it a day.

The following 2 users liked this post by HeyYou:
Hippiezombiecow (08-15-2021), sporta (08-11-2021)
Old 08-15-2021, 12:08 AM
Hippiezombiecow
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Maybe..... Question is, do you want to try it, and find out it didn't work, and get to do it again???

Think I would spend the money, buy the gaskets, and call it a day.
Ya know, fair enough, and I appreciate the honesty, lol

Old 08-15-2021, 09:53 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hippiezombiecow
Ya know, fair enough, and I appreciate the honesty, lol
I hate doing jobs twice.

Hippiezombiecow (08-15-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 11:29 AM
sporta
Veteran
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Hippiezombiecow
What about the timing cover gasket? As of right now, I plan on replacing it, but could I use rtv and save myself $60, lol
Most top end gasket kits usually come with the tc gasket as well as the main seal....this is one of the kits I used...https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00MQ4SS...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Overall not top bad of a kit. When you get your timing chain kit,, make sure that (if it's included) you DO NOT put the metal plate behind the tensioner on the passenger side of the motor...learn from my mistake...here is the link to my write up, look at the bottom of my post for clarification https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ck-to-her.html

Steve

Hippiezombiecow (08-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Top end rebuild advice