1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Durango Acceleration/Hard Start Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2021, 07:23 PM
Chloe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durango Acceleration/Hard Start Issues

Recently had my 2003 Dodge Durango start misfiring off of cylinder 2. We changed the spark plugs and ignition coils and it continued to run pretty crappy. From there it started to have acceleration issues and wouldn't want to go once you first step on the pedal, also wont go above 50mph, but doesnt seem to be a transmission issue. Its also had a rough start the past few days, and the idle has been unsteady. (Normal is around 600 rpm)

We changed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors as well as the map sensor and the idling seems to have smoothed out, but the acceleration issue is still there. It has also died both times I put it into reverse. I just changed the idler pulley and belt tensioner pulley too. We also made sure to clean the throttle body out and use some fuel cleaner for the tank as well. Fuel rails and injectors seem fine. TPS sensor was changed a few months ago.

TLR - Im having hard acceleration issues/excessive engine vibrations after the misfires.
If anyone has any ideas on what the issue is, please let me know. Just hit 209,000 miles the other day if that helps. 4.7 L engine.

Old 10-25-2021, 03:08 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Hope you used Mopar sensors, as that could become an issue. Also, you need to reset the electronics. Pull the battery terminals, short them together and turn the key to start position. Or pull them and let sit off overnight. What codes are u getting?

Old 10-25-2021, 12:21 PM
Chloe

Originally Posted by Dodgevity
Hope you used Mopar sensors, as that could become an issue. Also, you need to reset the electronics. Pull the battery terminals, short them together and turn the key to start position. Or pull them and let sit off overnight. What codes are u getting?
Yep, bought the sensors from the dealership, and disconnected my battery afterwards. The CEL turned off after we did the crankshaft sensor. Was told today that I jumped the timing and that dodge engines have more than one timing belt so it would be an expensive fix…

Old 10-25-2021, 02:42 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Yes... three timing chains, actually. How many miles on it?

Old 10-25-2021, 02:44 PM
Chloe

Originally Posted by dodgevity
yes... Three timing chains, actually. How many miles on it?

Quick Reply: Durango Acceleration/Hard Start Issues