1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

where is coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021, 02:43 PM
mopman42
Amateur
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default where is coolant leak?

This is a strange one, not sure where the leak is coming from. I have a 2000 durango 4.7l and notice a leak on garage floor under the front drivers side past the radiator around where the power steering is. I was expecting to see indication of leak on the upper radiator hose or maybe the radiator cap but not seeing any indication of leaking there at all. I do see green fluid on the power steering hose. I've attached some images that I took when on the ground looking up towards the power steering reservoir. I notice the fluid on the bottom of the power steering hose, at where the crimp is in power steering hose (on both sides of the crimp) and around the power steering cooler. Have no idea why I would be seeing radiator fluid in these areas and not seeing any other indication of leak anywhere else. Any ideas?

cooler, crimp, bottom of hose

bottom of hose and oil cooler

zoom of leak at crimped part of hose

Old 12-06-2021, 02:56 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

The leaking coolant is probably just taking the easiest path down. Doesn't mean the leak is originating from there. You can rent (free when you return it) a cooling sytem pressure tester from any parts store, which will allow you to pressurize the system without the bothers of heat, noise and moving parts. Pump it up to 21 psi, throw some cardboard under it and the leak will show. This info below is from an old thread of mine. Hope it helps...

Well, I replaced the coolant filler neck and I was still losing coolant. I got the pressure tester hooked up correctly this time, pressurized it and got under the truck. It took about two minutes then a slow drip started, increasing in speed. So the drip is coming from one of the heater bypass hoses, right above where it connects to the thermostat assembly. It's leaking right where the hose crimps to the metal line. The lines start out as about six inches of rubber hose, then crimps to the metal lines which run up and over the engine, under the hat. From there, rubber heater hoses connect and go into the firewall.

Pressure tester.... If anyone is wondering, you pump this up to the PSI stamped on the radiator cap, in my case 21 psi. Don't go over, as that can do damage.

Leak as seen from under truck.

This is where the leak is. You can see the wetness around the left hose crimp.

I think I should be able to cut the crimp off with a dremel, maybe cut off the leaky part of hose, and just throw a worm clamp on it. What do you guys think?

Old 12-07-2021, 09:59 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Get some UV dye for cooling systems (there may be a universal dye available now) and a UV dye test kit. It will have a black light pen and yellow safety glasses. USE THE GLASSES! Add the dye and run it for a bit. Look around underneath and see where the streak of dye is coming from. For instance, if your water pump is failing, you'll see a strong dye trace at the water pump weep hole (the most common spot) with a spray of dye going away.

Old 12-07-2021, 11:01 AM
mopman42
Amateur

Thank you both! Wasn't sure what to do next to figure out where the leak was. Will hopefully track this down this weekend!

Old 12-07-2021, 11:54 AM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 386 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Get some UV dye for cooling systems (there may be a universal dye available now) and a UV dye test kit. It will have a black light pen and yellow safety glasses. USE THE GLASSES! Add the dye and run it for a bit. Look around underneath and see where the streak of dye is coming from. For instance, if your water pump is failing, you'll see a strong dye trace at the water pump weep hole (the most common spot) with a spray of dye going away.
Last time I used a UV light, the coolant glowed with no additive. At least the green stuff did.

Old 12-18-2021, 05:58 PM
mopman42
Amateur

Finally got to this and found the leak right away! It was the upper coolant hose. It was leaking right above the power steering reservoir and then down the power steering hoses. I just tightened the clamp and the leak stopped!

Never used a coolant pressure tester before but have to say that was absolutely awesome how fast I found the leak! Also found my radiator cap pressure relief was not right - it was not relieving pressure until around 25 psi. So i bought a new cap. Probably should get a new upper hose but was a bit shocked the after market hoses at autozone and oreilly's were so expensive. Will wait a bit before I replace.

Can't thank you enough for the tip!!

Quick Reply: where is coolant leak?