Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,277 Likes on 3,024 Posts

Hope you recover quickly.

Old 02-13-2023, 10:21 PM
sporta
Veteran
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Update time....Well I'm finally feeling up to working on vehicles Today I replaced the Master Cylinder on the wife's baby (2001 Durango) now I just need to bleed the lines and move on to the next item on the list. Quick question, I currently have the Brake and ABS lights on the dash...could this be due needing to bleed the brakes? it got way to windy (25-30mph gusts) for me to try and bleed it...but she started up with a jump....now need a new battery....just another thing to add to the list....but if anyone has a suggestion on the ABS/Brake lights it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Old 02-14-2023, 11:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yeah, get the brakes bled out good, and working properly, see if the lights go out.

The following users liked this post:
sporta (02-14-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 05:42 PM
sporta
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, get the brakes bled out good, and working properly, see if the lights go out.
I've been meaning to update this post....She's ALIVE LOL. Did a brake bleed with the vacuum bleed kit from Harbor Freight....worked great. Lots of gunk out of the brake lines. Wasn't satisfied with the pedal feel so we re-bled the brakes the old school way....pump 3x, hold and release the pressure on the line. Did that and now its stopping great. Funny thing, after the bleed of the brake system, the ABS and Brake light were lit for about 5 mins then went off...not been on since First tank of gas (was almost empty) we got 16.4 mpg out of her and she smogged great...still have some issues to tackle but progress is being made.

I then tackled the front end noise. Fearing the worst, I checked the fluid level and saw it was really black and a tad low. So we pulled the diff cover off and the gear oil did not seem to have a lot of metal in it. Washed the diff out with some brake clean, made sure all was dry then put it back together with new gasket and gear oil. Thought we had it....nope...one more thing to check of the list...then with both wheels off, I saw the passenger side "dustshield" was looking like it was touching/rubbing on the brake rotor...massaged it back into position so that the spacing matched the drivers side hoping it would fix it...no such luck. Think we have it narrowed down to the front hub bearing as it does get louder on left hand turns....stay tuned hopefully I'm on the right track now

Thanks

Steve

Old 06-16-2023, 05:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it gets louder turning left, the RIGHT side bearing is your issue.

sporta (06-16-2023)
Old 07-05-2023, 12:02 AM
sporta
Veteran

Project update....
Replaced the hubs and found both the inner and outer tie rod ends were shot....so I set about replacing them....the no good blankety blank SOB that installed the inner tie rods FILLED THE THREADS WITH RED LOCKTITE!!!! took forever to get the passenger one off...did find a great wrench that was supposedly designed for this purpose...when I googled the snap-on one from a video this came up...looks very similar...and very tough and effective...

Awesome pliers that compare to snap-on from harbor freight

only to find the rack and pinion drivers side was puking fluid...so that got replaced.... everything is back on and working mostly right lol, still need an alignment and still tracking down a rattle....but she runs great and got 16.8 mpg...

The search for the noise continues....

Steve

Old 12-05-2023, 05:37 PM
sporta
Veteran

Update: Noise issue is SOLVED (FINALLY!)!
My mechanic guru finally had time to put the Durango on his hoist and found the following:

Built in Durango Noise Maker otherwise known as the front drive shaft at the transfer case

I thought it would be the front u-joint but at least I was close to finding it my self...I really need a lift lol. Jacking the Durango up and trying to shimmy under to see everything while being outdoors is for the birds lol.

Replacing the entire drive shaft was more economical than just replacing the upper CV joint.

Now to do the rear brakes.
The fun doesn't end

Cheers

Steve

Old 12-05-2023, 05:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There have been many occasions that I would have killed for a hoist...... I have a garage, with a concrete floor, but still..... crawling under there is a pain.

sporta (12-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2023, 05:54 PM
sporta
Veteran

Supposedly I have a "garage" someplace under all the crap that has been collected....rumor has it, vehicles can be driven in and the door closed so you can work inside...but again only rumors lol. The ironic thing is my dad has a like new 2 post lift that he has been saying we are installing at his place now for the past 5 years or so...if I can get rid of the pool table in my so called garage, I might have a chance to clean it out and see if a Durango fits in it lol.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sporta
Supposedly I have a "garage" someplace under all the crap that has been collected....rumor has it, vehicles can be driven in and the door closed so you can work inside...but again only rumors lol. The ironic thing is my dad has a like new 2 post lift that he has been saying we are installing at his place now for the past 5 years or so...if I can get rid of the pool table in my so called garage, I might have a chance to clean it out and see if a Durango fits in it lol.
LOLOL.

Yep. I feel ya man. I supposedly have a two car garage, but, it seems only one will fit. Mine. The bay that the wife designated as 'hers', has 'other' stuff in it. She hasn't been able to park in there for around 4 years. When she asks me to go out and scrape the ice and snow off her vehicle, I just raise an eyebrow, and ask her why it wasn't parked in the garage.... She stopped asking. That whole REASON for the garage was so we wouldn't HAVE to scrape windows. Not my fault hers won't fit in the garage. I think she is gettin' tired of it though, as things seem to be disappearing out of her bay. There is a LOT more floor visible today, than there was a couple weeks ago.

sporta (12-05-2023)

Quick Reply: Is this the end????