1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Fuel straps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2024, 08:09 AM
Fiskillin2012
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel straps?

Hey yall, got a dumb guy question. I'm trying to replace the fuel tank straps on my 02 durango sxt. I'm having trouble getting the rear strap close enough to where the stud used to be ( my broke off during removal due to corrosion). Any tips or tricks on getting it to sit properly or close enough for me to secure back to the vehicle?
Thanks in advance

Old 01-03-2024, 03:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Put a jack under it to hold it up.... sometimes ya gotta wiggle it around to get it to go where it really needs to be.

Old 01-03-2024, 06:02 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 581 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Put a jack under it to hold it up.... sometimes ya gotta wiggle it around to get it to go where it really needs to be.

I've got a '97 Dakota (same basic vehicle) and I had to replace my rear strap on it. I used 2 jacks with short sections of 2X4 on them to spread the load. I undid the front strap and replaced the rear only. When I went to rebolt them, the front went together with a lot of wiggling, some Russian cuss words and holding my tongue juuuuust right. The rear was a real piece of horse apples! I ended up making a replacement bolt out of threaded rod and long enough I could start a nut on it. Then I used a deep well socket to tighten it into place. Getting a nut on the end in the holding bracket was fun, but not too bad.

Quick Reply: Fuel straps?