1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Serious Brake Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:24 PM
TexasDurango
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Brake Trouble

Hi,
My wife drives a 2000 Durango 2WD 360/5.9L. She comes in the other day and tells me that when she applies the brake it makes a clunking noise. So being the good husband I go out and drive it. She was correct! Not only does it make a clunking noise , you can actually feel it. It does it in both forward and reverse. When going forward, the first time you apply the brake it makes a rather large clunking noise that you can feel, after that if you release the brake and then reapply it it does not do it again. Then when you place it in reverse it does the exact same thing. It almost as if something is shifting! I checked the Disc Brake pads and they are like new. I crawled under it and I did not find anything loose. I will check the caliper assembly when I get home tonight. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 PM
DRDrew042
Professional
Default RE: Serious Brake Trouble

It may not be as serious as it sounds. i called one of my customers @ meineke and just from what you said we came to the conclusion that some hardware has slipped in the caliper. Should be an easy fix. However if in doubt get it inspected sometimes place like meineke will inspect and not charge and even fix it if its easy. but you can do it. I just pulled a caliper of my shelf and it comes with a "problem solver clip" . I looked at a disc caliper kit and it dosent have that big spring so you may have to get a reman. loaded caliper ( see pic ) or get just the "spring " from the dealer. i took a pic. of a caliper for ya. hope it helps. hard to diag. over the net. G'Luck.

Old 05-12-2004, 07:25 PM
DRDrew042
Professional

heres the pics. and the calipers needsa star type bit to open it up with on the caliper bolts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/624/Nl300051862.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/624/Zu657492530.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/624/Fk159249514.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/624/Zt539398837.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2004, 10:28 PM
JCswm
Veteran

ORIGINAL: TexasDurango

Hi,
My wife drives a 2000 Durango 2WD 360/5.9L. She comes in the other day and tells me that when she applies the brake it makes a clunking noise. So being the good husband I go out and drive it. She was correct! Not only does it make a clunking noise , you can actually feel it. It does it in both forward and reverse. When going forward, the first time you apply the brake it makes a rather large clunking noise that you can feel, after that if you release the brake and then reapply it it does not do it again. Then when you place it in reverse it does the exact same thing. It almost as if something is shifting! I checked the Disc Brake pads and they are like new. I crawled under it and I did not find anything loose. I will check the caliper assembly when I get home tonight. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Have you had any work done recently???
Can you narrow the location down any... Front/Rear
sitting still brakes on, shift from Reverse to drive and back to reverse... does that make the sound
can you hear anything over speed bumps??

Old 05-13-2004, 10:02 AM
TexasDurango

I wil try the suggestions you have given me and let you know if I find anything. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply: Serious Brake Trouble